6505 Wilshire Blvd.
About JVS SoCal: Jobs. Vision. Success.
JVS SoCal (formerly JVS Los Angeles) has been serving the Greater Los Angeles and Southern California area since 1931. We provide job training, career counseling, mentoring and placement services to diverse and multicultural populations that include working poor, unemployed and underemployed veterans, women, refugees, disabled, and at-risk foster and probation youth. We currently provide comprehensive services to over 30,000 clients and self-service to over 20,000 clients annually at 20 sites throughout Los Angeles County, offering more than 40 life-changing programs.
Mission: Building better lives, one job at a time by empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment.
Vision: Thriving communities with hope and economic opportunity for all.
Our Donor Groups
To address the needs of our client population and provide our generous supporters with new opportunities to impact our clients and transform their lives, we have launched donor groups: The JVS Women’s Leadership Network and Young Professionals/Emerging Leaders group.
Women’s Leadership Network
Through a committed and active network of donors and members, the JVS Women’s Leadership Network (WLN) works to sustain and enhance JVS SoCal’s comprehensive array of programs that assist and empower women through career crisis or transition and move them from poverty to economic independence and self-sufficiency through career training. The WLN produces the highly successful, Woman to Woman Conference (W2W), raising awareness and critical funding to sustain JVS SoCal programs serving women, at the same time offering networking opportunities and inspiration to tear down barriers to success for women of diverse backgrounds and needs. Recognizing that six out of every 10 low-wage job holders in the Los Angeles region are women; and that many of these are single parents, heads of household, veterans struggling with the transition to civilian life, newly arrived immigrants and women re-entering the workforce, the WLN launched the Women’s Empowerment (WE) Fund to provide additional focus and program resources for women.
Young Professionals/Emerging Leaders
Looking to the future of our organization and the changing needs of our clients, we are in the early stages of forming the Young Professionals/Emerging Leaders (YPEL) group. In partnership with YPEL leaders, JVS SoCal will provide education, volunteering and networking opportunities to engage members, ages 25 to 40. In time, members of YPEL will have the opportunity to guide the future of the organization, taking on advisory, board, committee and fundraising leadership positions of influence and governance.
Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups
We are seeking a dynamic, creative, organized and determined Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups interested in helping a mission-driven nonprofit thrive, grow and have significant impact in the lives of our clients and our communities. This position resides within the Philanthropy Department and reports directly to the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) and works closely with the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Philanthropy as well as our CEO, Board Chairman, SVP Communications, committed staff, events and administrative staff, program leaders, and the leadership of our donor groups. The Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups will be responsible for planning, directing and coordinating fundraising and membership engagement and activities, and collaborating with JVS internal resources for Marketing/Communications and Donor Group Events. The Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups will also collaborate with the JVS Grants Department to help build Foundation support, and with the Director of Corporate Development and Engagement to help build corporate support, in addition to working with leadership to expand and fuel JVS SoCal’s expansion, capacity and continued programmatic success.
The Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups is expected to facilitate significant contributions via the donor groups, including gifts, membership dues and sponsorships.
Duties and Responsibilities
Development and Implementation of Fundraising Plan
Create, manage, implement and evaluate annual donor group engagement and fundraising plan and goals, consistent with the JVS SoCal five-year strategic plan.
Direct and participate in research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors and ensure that the use of the time of executive, program and member leadership is used effectively in fundraising.
Work with Executive and Senior Leadership, Marketing-Communications, Program Leaders, Grants Department, Staff and Donor Group Leaders to plan and implement fundraising initiatives to gradually increase the number and size of gifts from corporations, foundations and individuals through the WE Fund, events, membership and planned giving. The Director of Development will also recommend how and whether to ramp up internet and direct-mail fundraising, annual appeals, awareness drives and end of year activities.
Develop and implement a fundraising and outreach program that makes effective use of the CEO, Board Chairman and senior leaders, including scheduling, preparing for, and attending meetings with potential funders as necessary.
Act as a Volunteer Coordinator when necessary to inspire our volunteers to become donors.
Retain current donors and expand base to fuel the expansion of the organization and donor groups, in line with the strategic plan.
Draft communications, letters of inquiry and proposals to ensure a high quality, readable and consistent voice to donors and prospects that reflects our mission, vision, core values and strategies, and fulfills the important objectives of our donor groups.
Work with SVP, Grants Department and Program Directors and their staff, as well as corporate sponsors and foundations, to develop and tailor compelling proposals, ensure timely reporting to foundations and donors, and to ensure that we are on track with deliverables.
Maintain understanding of fundraising issues and how they might affect and provide fundraising opportunities for our donor groups and JVS SoCal overall. Monitor philanthropic trends as they relate to our work, communicate these to staff and suggest program and fundraising modifications as appropriate.
Collaborate with the Marketing-Communications staff to create materials, including talking points and briefings. Work with program staff to understand and communicate effectively about the range of programs and accomplishments, and the impact we make.
Track existing and potential commitments, as well as all grant reporting requirements. Work with Philanthropy staff and conduct follow-up to ensure all pledges are fulfilled in a timely manner. Work with Philanthropy administration and Finance to ensure accuracy of receivables and correct coding and credit of donations.
Provide updates, technical advice and consultations to Philanthropy staff. Find “best practices” among similarly-situated nonprofits and disseminate insights.
Administrative tasks in support of fundraising. Work closely with CSO, SVP and Finance on budget planning, identification of budget needs, and the implementation of the fundraising strategy to meet those needs.
Maintain donor database with the assistance of the Philanthropy department, including donor information and comprehensive donor profiles, documenting correspondence with donors, meeting notes, proposals and background information.
Provide guidance to event staff and ensure we make our financial goals for events, as well as provide a satisfying, well-managed experience. Secure event sponsors, co-chairs, honorees and speakers. Analyze event fundraising and make suggestions for keeping events fresh and helping them grow.
Manage and ensure accuracy of fundraising systems, databases and reporting. This includes writing department reports for all board meetings, generating financial queries and reports to analyze fundraising strategies and coordinating with Philanthropy and Finance staff to ensure accurate reporting.
Oversee production of fundraising materials, including appeal and thank you letters.
Mentor and supervise staff wherever appropriate.
Donor Group Tasks: Women’s Leadership Network
· Ensure meet/exceed annual WLN revenue goals
· Cultivate new corporate partners/funders
· Cultivate and steward WLN members
· Secure new WLN memberships
· Partner with the WLN members in funding WE Fund opportunities
· Oversee the day-to-day administrative tasks related to the WLN
· Oversee the planning and coordination of the annual W2W Conference
· Oversee budget and revenue reporting
· Secure W2W renewal sponsorships
· Secure W2W new sponsorships
· Oversee the planning and coordination of monthly WLN Leadership Council meetings
· Oversee WLN sub-committee meetings/tasks
· Oversee WLN networking events
· Create letters, emails and WLN correspondence as needed
· Track WLN revenue, including membership, events and WE Fund
· Coordinate scheduling of meetings
· Prepare WLN meeting materials
· Prepare meeting minutes
· Manage membership mailings
· Planning/preparing/implementing/wrapping up W2W Conference
· Manage/coordinate sponsorship lists and mailings
· Manage/coordinate invitation lists and mailings
· Manage/coordinate miscellaneous mailings
· Prepare and submit invoice and check requests
· Coordinate/oversee the W2W registration/check-in
· Manage WLN content on website
Donor Group Tasks: Young Professionals/Emerging Leaders
· Organize structure with policies and procedures for YPEL group, including group and committee leadership slots
· Cultivate new members
· Steward and engage members with consistent communications and events
· Organize educational events
· Organize volunteer opportunities
· Organize networking events including an “annual” event
· Recruit and develop committee leadership for Finance, Events, Marketing, etc.
· Manage/coordinate invitation lists and mailings (including email)
· Manage/coordinate miscellaneous mailings (including email)
· Provide and manage YPEL content on JVS SoCal website
Experience in fundraising or sales and marketing required, with a demonstrated track record of success in fund development, raising major gifts and writing proposals for various audiences, including corporate sponsors and foundations, or parallel experience in sales and marketing with benchmarks such as demonstrated responsibility, initiative, and success in a sales/marketing/proposal writing environment. Experience in a nonprofit organization preferred; better still is experience with fundraising for a social services and/or workforce development nonprofit.
The successful candidate will have:
· Success and comfort in making pitches in person and personally soliciting gifts.
· Excellent writing skills, including the ability to produce high quality prose quickly and under deadline.
· Ability to develop fundraising budgets.
· Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and comfort with Excel. Familiarity with Raisers Edge (or Salesforce) is strongly preferred; working with donor databases is a must. Basic knowledge of marketing and graphic design is a plus.
· Strong commitment to social and economic justice issues and the mission of JVS SoCal.
· Bachelor's degree required.
· Excellent leadership, management and decision-making skills.
· Strong oral communications skills, initiative, persistence, ability to multi-task, spirit of teamwork, and a positive attitude are required.
· Willingness to be an inspiring mentor and colleague to staff seeking to expand their capacity for performance and impact.
· Ability to help motivate leadership and prominent board to help build the roster of supporters and expand our fundraising to match our ambitious program agenda.
· Some travel throughout Greater Los Angeles and Southern California may be required, along with professional development opportunities and events.
· Competitive compensation–including salary and bonus–will be commensurate with experience. JVS SoCal offers attractive benefits, including health care, dental and vision.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing samples and put on subject line: Director of Philanthropy, Donor Groups. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. The position will be open until it is filled. No phone calls please.
JVS SoCal is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, physical disability, mental disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national or ethnic origin, genetic information or any other protected status.
Minimum Education Required