NORTHERN CALIFORNIA CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR
The Surfrider Foundation is an international non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches through a powerful activist network. Surfrider Foundation is seeking a highly motivated person for the position of Northern California Campaign Coordinator. The goals for this position are to protect California’s coast from the threat of offshore oil and gas development; defend marine protected areas (MPAs); and support a grassroots constituency of coastal advocates. This individual must have a background in direct action organizing and community outreach. The position will cover the coastal region between San Luis Obispo and the Oregon border, and will work in a coordinated effort with Environmental and Chapter department staff and Surfrider’s volunteer network. This position emphasizes the skill sets of an experienced community organizer.
- Coordinate grassroots advocacy to stop new offshore drilling and defend marine protected areas (MPAs) off the California coast.
- Conduct public outreach on the threat of offshore drilling and value of MPAs to coastal communities.
- Build relationships and collaborate with community leaders, elected officials, NGO partners, tribal representatives, and other key leaders.
- Recruit members to the Business Alliance for Protecting the Pacific Coast (BAPPC).
- Collaborate with the Surfrider chapters, staff, and partners on coastal advocacy campaigns and engage volunteers.
- Represent Surfrider Foundation at administrative hearings and public events.
- Contribute to newsletter articles, web content development, social media outreach and grant reporting.
- Train volunteers in direct action organizing techniques including, but not limited to: campaign planning, recruitment, retention, strategy, tactics and program implementation.
- Assist the Northern California chapter network in developing, implementing, and strengthening chapter programs.
- Provide written updates on the campaign to Surfrider’s communications team for distribution to our membership, public and California chapter network.
- Experience in direct action grassroots organizing, community outreach and coalition building amongst diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of state, regional and national coastal & ocean environmental issues and management.
- Demonstrated skills in facilitation, social media, blogging, and volunteer training.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing with elected officials, agency staff, industry representatives and ocean stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with volunteer chapter leaders.
- Experience in speaking publicly in front of a large number of people in a variety of situations.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively between San Luis Obispo and Mendocino counties with occasional travel further north (travel budget is provided).
- Willingness to work flexible hours (including weekends and evenings).
- Ability to work effectively from a home office.
- Ability to work independently.
Desired Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience is required.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Salary & Benefits:
This is a full-time position based in Northern California medical, dental and vision coverage, long-term disability insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), 401(k) plan with partial employer matching, paid vacation and sick time. The Surfrider Foundation offers a salary that is competitive with other national, not-for-profit conservation organizations for this position. Opportunities for advancement are available.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit surfrider.org/careers for specific email address submission instructions.
Send to the attention of: Pete Stauffer, Environmental Director
Please use subject line “Northern California Campaign Coordinator” and title resume and cover letter documents using this convention: lastname_resume.doc & lastname_cover.doc
Deadline for receiving resumes is July 20th, 2018
Phone inquiries will not be accepted – thank you for understanding
The Surfrider Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.