The Democratic Attorneys General Association seeks a bilingual Deputy Director of Communications to help lead the association’s earned and paid communications strategies, focusing on earned media with Spanish-speaking audiences and media outlets.
Responsible for helping build positive narratives around the individual and collective work of 25 sitting Democratic Attorneys General and supporting the political communications for 30+ attorney general races during the 2021-2022 cycle and beyond. The ideal candidate should have a team-orientated attitude to get the job done.
This is not an entry-level position. The bilingual Deputy Communications Director will work closely with attorneys general, DAGA’s digital department, state and national reporters, and partner organizations. Travel will be required to achieve goals and perform regular responsibilities.
- Work with the Communications Director to design and implement comprehensive communication strategies in English and Spanish that elevate DAGA, Democratic Attorneys General, and AG races to a variety of audiences.
- Use media relations tactics to maximize committee and Democratic Attorneys General’s presence in the local and national political landscape with Spanish-speaking voters, including pitching, press releases, op-eds, media events, and more.
- Lead development of communications content branded for DAGA elevating individual Democratic Attorneys General with Spanish-speaking audiences.
- Understanding shifts in Democratic Party messaging, staying informed of all political and policy issues related to state attorneys general.
- Identify key media moments and work with the team to create newsworthy events.
- Help strategize and implement DAGA’s rapid response communications.
- Work directly with Attorney General incumbents/candidates and their teams to help them develop earned and paid media communications strategies to win races.
- Participate in weekly and monthly campaign strategy and planning meetings with campaign managers and directors.
- Work with outside organizations to elevate the importance of Attorneys General to Spanish-speaking voters.
- Responsible for translation of various communications, including digital and social materials for Spanish-speaking audiences to meet goals.
- Ensure consistency and messaging across committee platforms.
- Other communications responsibilities and special projects, as assigned.
- A proven track record of designing and implementing strategic communications plans for Spanish-speaking audiences with political campaigns, advocacy campaigns, or progressive organizations in the local and national landscape.
- Well-versed in pitching reporters with proven media placements in Spanish-speaking outlets.
- Strong writing and oral presentation skills, including writing press releases, statements, and op-eds in Spanish that have resulted in media coverage that was effective and met goals.
- Experience working at least four years in a communications capacity for political campaigns, PACs, advocacy campaigns, political committees, or progressive organizations.
- Experience working with principal audiences, ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization from senior leadership to junior staff to outside parties.
- Demonstrate knowledge of earned and paid media strategies, especially in the Spanish-speaking landscape.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and operate effectively in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Sense of humor and positive, can-do attitude.
- Commitment to DAGA’s mission.
- Ability to write and speak Spanish.
- Located in DC or willing to relocate in September 2021.
- Ability to travel to quarterly policy conferences and to states as needed.