3803 N. Fairfax Dr.
What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation’s leading voice on mental health. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
Today, we are an alliance of more than 800 local affiliates, state organizations and a national office who work in communities across the United States to raise awareness and provide support and education that was not previously available to those in need. NAMI advocates for all who are affected by mental illness, both the individuals and the people in their lives. In particular, we do not rest until we remedy injustices and intervene early to prevent needless loss of quality of life. In addition to being advocates, we educate, we listen, and we lead as evidenced by our public awareness campaigns, the range of numerous programs we provide, and our strong public policy.
We are currently seeking a Manager, PR and External Relations. The Manager supports the work of NAMI in building and enhancing meaningful relationships with the public to strengthen the NAMI brand as the leading mental health organization representing the needs of individuals and families affected by mental illness.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Helps maintain a positive public image through a variety of communications strategies and public events designed to promote the NAMI brand.
- Supports the Director of Public Relations and Media and the Media Relations Manager in the development of NAMI PR activities.
- Assists in audience/market research and in designing communications, promotions and campaigns to reach and engage targeted groups across diverse media, organizations, and populations
- Collaborates with marcom team on the promotion of organizational programs and events at a national scale.
- Collaborates with cross-divisional staff on the development of public affairs activities that support the marketing and promotion of NAMI programs and services.
- Supports the National Director of Strategic Partnerships in supporting the corps of NAMI Brand Ambassadors and celebrity activities including Ambassador relations, activation programs and ongoing communications.
- Handles project management of marketing and communications aspects of NAMI special events and partner events.
- Handles project management of partner co-marketing and promotion activities with leading brands across a variety of industries including healthcare, entertainment, arts, sports, etc. and assists in integrating campaigns with NAMI affiliates.
- Supports other marketing and communications projects including the creation of PSAs, video scripts, radio promotions, podcasts, etc.
- Assists and tracks internal and external communications queries and requests.
- Collaborates with marcom team on routine website maintenance, audits and updates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- 3-5 years experiencing managing public affairs activities for a non-profit, mission driven organization
- 3-5 years experience managing relationships with high-profile leaders and celebrities
- Strong writing, editing and communications skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills; highly detail oriented and deadline driven
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint and/or KeyNote.
- Familiarity and proficiency with social media platforms
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other design tools highly desired
This position is based in Arlington, VA.
Must pass background check.
Minimum Education Required