Criminal Defense Practice Temporary Staff Attorney-IDV
- Job posted by The Legal Aid Society - New York City
The Integrated Domestic Violence Part Staff Attorney represents the client in both Criminal and Family Court matters.
The Integrated Domestic Violence Part seeks to address both the Criminal Court and Family Court concerns of the family unit before one judge in one courtroom. Domestic violence cases which include a Family Court component are sent to the IDV Court Part. In some instances, the Family Court matter may have begun prior to the Criminal Court case; in others, the Family Court proceeding may be triggered by the Criminal Court case. In IDV, all parties to both actions are expected to be present and participate in a resolution of all issues as expeditiously as possible
This is a temporary position which is expected to begin approximately September 1st, 2018, and end approximately September 30th, 2019. At the conclusion of this assignment, the attorney will return to their original position, unless there are other openings for which they apply and are selected.
* Represent clients in related Criminal Court and Family Court proceedings in the IDV part
* Other duties as assigned
Manhattan - Criminal Defense Practice Office
* NYS bar admission
* Must be qualified to handle Misdemeanor and Felony cases and have hearing and trial experience
* Must possess a thorough knowledge of the criminal procedure law and of the possible civil and administrative collateral sanctions arising from convictions
* Ability to work well with court personnel and participate in group policy decision making while protecting the rights of our clients zealously
* Family Court Training will be arranged so that the attorney is familiar with issues such as custody, support, and visitation and applicable statutes and procedures
* Willing to attend relevant training sessions in order to prepare for the position
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Education Required