Full Time Contract
Tanzania Education Corp (TEC), a Boston-based NGO, has supported the Tumaini Schools in northern Tanzania since 2008. Tumaini Schools operate three private, English-language, non-profit schools with a combined enrollment of 1100 students. The preschool and primary school are located in Karatu, two and a half hours from Arusha. The secondary school, Tumaini Senior, is located in Makuyuni, an hour west of Arusha. The oldest of the schools, Tumaini Junior, is a K-7 school, opened in 2004, and its graduates consistently rank in the top 1% among Tanzania’s over 15,000 schools primary schools. All the schools recruit primarily from families residing in the local area. TEC raises funds for major school construction projects at all three campuses and provides financial aid to Tumaini students through its Sponsorship Program. TEC has also supported the development of libraries, computer labs and special courses.
TEC is looking for a full-time Sponsorship Director to join our team based in Karatu. The Director also serves as the primary development contact in Tanzania. Main responsibilities include coordinating and conducting visitor tours and managing relations with over 125 student sponsors. As liaison to sponsors, the Director will work with the office in the US to implement a marketing and communications plan. The position requires strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to work across all levels of the organization.
• Facilitate visitor tours to the schools and cultivate donor relationships through follow up emails and sponsorship inquiries
• Manage relationships with over 125 sponsors through email, and bi-annual student updates and letters
• Research, develop, and write compelling copy for a variety of digital platforms that will include the TEC website, social media, and email newsletters with goal to increase TEC brand awareness.
• Work collaboratively with Program Director, a second full time staff position in Karatu
• Provide input to and support for other initiatives as required
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-3 years of communications experience, ideally in an international nonprofit setting. Experience in East Africa is a plus.
• Highly collaborative style; ability to create relationships with staff, volunteers, and people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Must be willing and able to adapt to Tanzania’s culture
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Knowledge of MailChimp, InDesign, Filemaker Pro software is desirable but not required
• Sincere commitment to TEC mission
A one-year commitment, with arrival date in Karatu, Tanzania between late May-early June 2018. This commitment can be extended upon mutual agreement.
• $500 per month stipend deposited into a US bank account on the last day of every month. TEC views you as an independent contractor and, as a result, you are responsible for all taxes owed (including Social Security, Medicare, federal and state income taxes).
• Tanzania work visa fees paid by TEC.
• Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses related to TEC, paid monthly.
• Rent, utilities (includes internet and a local phone) and housekeeper for a two bedroom house with Western toilet and shower to be shared. Own bedroom. Food is not included.
• Two one way tickets from your home to Kilimanjaro Airport in Arusha, not to exceed a total of $2000US.
• Shared Apple laptop for TEC business; we encourage you to bring your own for personal use.
• Three weeks of paid vacation excluding June-September
• Does not include costs of immunizations
Level of Language Proficiency
Native English speaker, knowledge of Kiswahili preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
please send resume and cover letter to Frank Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org