Full Time Temporary Contract
Details: Range $18-20/hr
745 Centre Street
City Summer Internship (CSI) is a paid summer internship program for girls entering ninth grade. This five-week program introduces young women to opportunities in Boston’s economic engine neighborhoods using a blend of classroom-based career education activities and real-world experiences.
Five weeks of success seminars are paired with workplace explorations where the girls visit a variety of businesses, focusing on fields where women are underrepresented. Weekly preparation for workplace visits includes group discussions on goal setting and values, as well as learning and practicing leadership, self-presentation, communication skills and self-advocacy in the workplace and beyond. The program is taught through a gender lens with an emphasis on unpacking gender and racial stereotypes.
Every facet of the program is designed to help the girls understand and break through barriers that limit their access to career opportunities in Boston.
The City Summer Instructor must be committed to girl’s development. The ideal candidate is professional, creative, flexible, able to teach a diverse array of curriculum concepts, and able to communicate with young people and adults. Above all, this person has the ability to spark curiosity, creativity, and confidence in all City Summer Interns. The City Summer Instructor is responsible for implementing the City Summer internship experience for up to 23 interns in a variety of classroom environments. She will support delivery of an intentional youth development program to increase girl’s confidence, positive work habits and professional skills and use classes and weekly explorations to spark interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and other careers where women are under represented.
- Co-plan and co-deliver daily City Summer Internship lessons for up to 15 interns.
- Create a safe, respectful girl-centered learning environment.
- Create and review weekly lesson plans with the Program Coordinator prior to delivery.
- Model teaching that is culturally relevant for a diverse population of students.
- Support independence and leadership in interns.
- Work closely with all staff to track interns’ progress.
- Contribute as a team member with other staff and do what is needed to succeed.
- Plan and support weekly workplace explorations.
- Effectively utilize prep time to prepare for activities and explorations.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience working with middle school girls required.
- Experience working with diverse families and communities required.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to work with young people and their families, staff, and worksite partners.
- Ability to manage up to 25 students in a safe, respectful environment.
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to walk distances of up to one mile, bend, lift, and move up to 20 lbs.
- Proof of TB test within the last year
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Must have a cell phone and active phone number
Because this is a seasonal position, health benefits are not provided.
Hours: 8 am - 4 pm Monday - Friday with occasional late days.
Staff training days (required) July 5-6, 2018
Program Dates: July 9 - August 10, 2018
Location: Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, 41 Berkeley Street, Boston
Accessible by MBTA
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter that describes why City Summer Internship and how your skills are a match for our program along with a resume.
Apprentice Learning is committed to providing equal opportunities to all employees and applicants. Apprentice Learning makes decisions regarding employment based on this commitment and without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin or ancestry, age, citizenship, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, mental illness, gender identity or expression, genetic information, martial status, veteran or military status, membership in the Uniformed Services, or any other characteristic protected by law. We strive to provide an atmosphere free from discrimination in any form.