The Staff Accountant position manages all aspects of the day-to-day bookkeeping and accounting processes of The Children’s Room (TCR). This part-time position would be 10-15 hours per week, with the potential for additional hours during November – January time frame. The Staff Accountant will support the Executive Director, Controller, Operations, and Philanthropy by maintaining accurate up-to- date records, developing reports as required, maintaining organizational systems, and assisting the Controller with special projects. This person will also project a professional and caring image through written, in-person, and phone interaction with the whole TCR team.
Responsibilities: (Including but not limited to):
- Manage bookkeeping and accounting processes; A/P, A/R, recording payroll, entering credit card expenses, recording deposits, and recording and reconciling online transactions in accordance to GAAP.
- Assist the Controller with month end close by preparing reports for accruals, prepaid expense, and depreciation.
- Prepare monthly bank and credit card reconciliations.
- Process and pay all vendor invoices in a timely manner.
- Reconcile all organizational revenue in conjunction with the Philanthropy team
- Assist the Controller with the annual 1099 reporting process for vendors.
- Work with the Controller to prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports, including standard financial reports, budget vs. actual reports and grant-specific financial reports.
- Respond to questions raised by the Executive Director, Board Chair, and Treasurer in a timely manner.
- Prepare year end work papers with the Controller in preparation of year-end audit and IRS 990/State filing
- Support Executive Director and Controller in preparation and analysis of annual organization budget.
- Maintain accounting procedures and policies and systems of internal controls to ensure the integrity of all financial systems.
- Be a key interface with banks and be responsible for cash management (e.g. anticipating cash needs and transferring funds to ensure sufficient cash available at all times).
- Perform non-routine tasks requiring strong judgment and initiative.
- Assist as required in preparation of Board materials
- At least 5 years of experience performing similar duties.
- Competence in the principles and practices of accounting/bookkeeping
- Proficient use of QuickBooks, possessing capability to train TCR staff as needed
- Ability to work well either alone or as part of a team
- Strong writing, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with a wide range of people
- Ability to be flexible and change direction quickly
- Knowledge of computer hardware and general information technology systems, including ability to use both PCs and Macs. Experience with managing Dropbox accounts preferred.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent interpersonal skills and oral and written English communication
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage confidential information with integrity and to maintain privacy requirements
- Commitment to the goals and values of The Children’s Room
The Children’s Room does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability in admission or access to, or employment in its programs or activities.
Position available as of 3/1/2021