2410 17th Street, NW
District of Columbia
Housing Counseling Services, Inc. seeks an energetic self-starter to conduct eligibility determination activities and provide support and referral services to individuals and families who are currently homeless or who are at-risk for homelessness residing in the D.C. Metropolitan region. The salary range for this position is $45,000-$52,000
- Complete applications with individuals and families who apply to HCS for services through the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP);
- Determine applicant eligibility for the ERAP program;
- Communicate with applicants regarding the status of their ERAP application via written and oral communication;
- Advocate on the behalf of applicants with landlords, social service agencies, lawyers and legal systems, etc.;
- Assist Program Director with monthly reports and database maintenance;
- Respond to client questions and comments regarding their applications;
- Respond to emergency needs of clients;
- Refer applicants to appropriate services to address their various needs such as food, utility assistance, clothing, medical care, etc. within HCS and to outside resources;
- Input data in an extensive database;
- Maintain accurate written and computer based files;
- Provide accurate and complete monthly reports;
- Perform other HCS tasks as requested.
- At least two years of specialized professional experience in case management, housing, urban studies, or other related fields (BA degree in a related field will be considered as two years of specialized experience);
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to respond to multiple emergency needs with patience and diligence;
- Must demonstrate the ability to communicate with variety of professionals including case managers, real estate, medical, and attorneys as well as with low and moderate income families from a variety of cultures;
- Ability to translate technical information into layman’s terms;
- Must demonstrate an ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Must be versatile in order to handle a wide variety of duties;
- Sensitive to the needs within the community and to individual clients;
- Knowledge of housing law or capacity to learn;
- Strong computer skills.
HCS is an equal opportunity employer and affirmatively seeks diversity in its workforce. HCS recruits qualified applicants and advances in employment its employees without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital or familiar status, sex, age, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.
Generous benefit package offered
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish proficiency a plus but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.