343 Second Street
We are seeking a temporary and flexible team member for this role to help the Workplace Services department at the David and Lucile Packard Foundation. Located in downtown Los Altos, this is a part-time opportunity to fill-in and help out in reception at specific timeframes to provide breaks to the receptionists in the morning and afternoon, and at lunch on Mondays, Tuesdays, and every other Friday. The general work hours are 10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Flexibility to provide vacation and other time-off coverage is also needed.
We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. Today, their children and grandchildren continue to help guide the work of the David and Lucile Packard Foundation (Foundation). Their approach to business and community participation has guided our philanthropy for more than 50 years.
We work on the issues our founders cared about most, improving the lives of children; enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive health; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural systems; and supporting and strengthening an array of local nonprofit organizations.
The Workplace Services team sets high standards for working together well and providing effective back-up for one another to support the work of the Foundation. The team is responsible for providing support services to all Foundation staff and guests.
We seek a part-time reliable, flexible, and capable team member who:
· Welcomes and directs visitors and staff
· Learns to effectively operate a ShoreTel multiple-call telephone console
· Answers general questions and transfers calls appropriately and in a courteous manner
· Directs requests in a timely, accurate, and helpful manner
· Operates effectively in a time-structured work environment
· Problem solves questions accurately and anticipates needs
· Performs administrative duties such as data entry, routing requests, scheduling meetings
· Builds and maintains professional, helpful, and positive working relations with others
· May perform office opening and closing tasks
· Prioritizes work to completion and performs effective hand offs of work
· Keeps reception area neat and ready for guests
· Maintains a service ticketing system to assign tasks to the appropriate service provider
· Completes special projects or duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Effectively interacts with all and communicate a warm welcome to visitors
· Ability to learn general knowledge about the Foundation to direct calls
· Demonstrated good judgment and maintains confidentiality as needed
· Ability to work independently and as a team, manage time, and meet timelines
· Excellent verbal communication and customer skills required
· Must be reliable, flexible, personable
· Must be able to maintain a calm and confident demeanor under pressure
· Must have attention to detail and the ability to anticipate work as situations develop
· Strong skill to interact and communicate with all in a consistently helpful, courteous, culturally sensitive, tactful, and professional manner
· Must have some administrative skills and requires a working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint along with the skill and desire to learn and operate new systems and databases
· Interest in the work of the Foundation, desired
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, perform basic mathematical calculations, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for periods of time (1-3 hours), bend to file, and lift materials.
Education and Experience
High School graduate with minimum of two years of related work experience
Salary and Location
Position is temporary, part-time, and nonexempt. The role will be payrolled through an outside company. Hourly rate will be commensurate with related work experience. The position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience fit the position and a resume referring to job number 18-01-Temp in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone inquiries, please.
Principal applicants only.