333 S. Wabash Avenue
IFF improves the world by strengthening nonprofits and the communities they serve. As a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer, IFF helps communities thrive by creating opportunities for low-income communities and persons with disabilities. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest, we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and grocery stores. Staff contributes its extensive business experience with an unrivaled connection to the mission of IFF and the nonprofit clients it serves.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work it does and can demonstrate their creativity, detail-orientation, diligence, efficiency, enthusiasm, flexibility, organization, thoughtfulness, and sense of humor.
Our staff of nearly 100 professionals works from our Chicago headquarters, and we also serve the Midwest from six regional offices: Indianapolis, IN; Detroit, MI; Kansas City, MO; St. Louis, MO; Columbus, OH; and Milwaukee, WI.
Basic Job Function
The Communications and Development Associate will support the work of IFF to increase the visibility and funding of the organization. The Associate is responsible for implementing communications and development efforts to support strategic priorities, build brand recognition, lead general operating requests, and assist with prospect research. The ideal candidate is a developing communications and development professional with top-notch writing and storytelling skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts simply and concisely; a keen understanding of how to tailor communications to specific media; respectable graphic design skills; and strong project management skills.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Writing and Editing: Write and edit stories for email newsletters and print collateral, as well as other materials as assigned; this work will include original content creation in a journalistic style as well as careful proofing and fact-checking for accuracy, clarity, and brand/style alignment.
2. Crafting Content: Build out content for the website (WordPress), email newsletter (MailChimp), and print collateral (Adobe Creative Suite); this work will rely heavily on pre-made templates, but also requires adept and creative use of technology.
3. Sharing Content: Distribute stories, news, and other materials via social media (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn); this work could include crafting posts, creating scheduled campaigns, and “live tweeting” significant events.
4. Assisting with Media Outreach: Build and maintain sector-specific and location-specific reporter lists; assist in drafting press releases; and track media coverage of IFF and significant clients.
5. Assisting with Events: As needed, assist with any and all communications, list-building, and related tasks for the annual investor meeting, anniversary events, or other milestone events.
6. Maintaining Media Library: Maintain IFF’s digital library of photos, videos, graphics, icons, etcetera, as well as IFF’s physical library of print collateral and reports, for staff to have easy access to our resources.
7. Maintaining Branded Inventory: Update and order inventory for letterhead, envelopes, business cards, and other corporate branded materials.
1. Leading the submittal of general operating requests: Support the submission of requests to financial institutions and foundations. Assist in compiling general operating grant boilerplate and general operating reports. Assist with online application submissions. Maintain IFF online application passwords and related information.
2. Assisting and supporting the completion of assigned funder reports and proposals: Coordinate with staff across departments to gather program updates and impact data to complete assigned reports. Assist with identifying client impact stories and developing short content about borrowers, clients, and program achievements, including impact. Develop charts, graphs, and other visual graphics for use in funder materials. Assist with Program Related Investments and Religious Investor requests, as needed.
3. Ensuring assigned grants are documented through grant life cycle: Assist with maintaining funder and foundation investor records. Record submissions in Resource Development tracking system and Client Relationship Management system. Ensure contract is reviewed and executed, thank you correspondence is sent, and reporting and renewal dates are entered into work plans.
1. Providing executive support: Coordinate travel arrangements and schedule meetings as requested by the Vice President of Resource Development and Strategic Partnership and the Vice President of Communications and Public Policy.
2. Providing team support: Assist with departments’ file preparation, organization of team meetings, and editing and mailing of correspondence.
1. High-quality work products that are written well, crafted strategically, and aligned with IFF’s goals and branding.
2. Timely execution of assigned projects.
3. Accurate maintenance of media lists and communications materials.
4. Accurate maintenance of prospect research files, paper and electronic proposals, funder reports, and fundraising files.
5. Excellent communication and professional working relationships with members of the Core Communications and Resource Development teams, all IFF staff, and external stakeholders, including its nonprofit customers, investors, funders, partners, and the media.
6. Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
7. Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
8. Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members.
9. Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or related experience in communications, journalism, English, or related field.
Previous Experience: 3-5 years of relevant experience in communications and/or nonprofit fundraising.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
1. Strong experience working in content management systems such as or similar to WordPress and MailChimp.
2. Strong Microsoft Office Skills
3. Strong experience working in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign and PhotoShop.
Unusual Requirements: Occasional travel throughout the assigned region. Possible evening and weekend work may be necessary; able to lift 20 pounds and stand for extended period.
IFF values equity, diversity and inclusion as part of its mission to strengthen nonprofits and the communities they serve. IFF is an equal opportunity employer.
Careers at IFF
Come to work every day knowing you are making our world a better place. We seek resourceful, passionate, and community-minded individuals who want to combine business skills with social impact and contribute to our mission with some of the best in the field. IFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IFF also offers a great benefits package including:
- Medical plans (PPO, HMO, and HSA options)
- Dental plans (PPO)
- Vision discount program
- Pretax medical, transportation, and dependable care flexible spending accounts
- Generous vacation and sick time
- 401K plan with 5% employer contribution after one year of employment
- Employer-paid life and AD&D coverage
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability coverage
Other perks include:
- Professional development
- Flexible work schedule policy
- Summer Fridays policy
If you are looking for a rewarding and challenging career, join us.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Instructions: Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Communications and Development Associate” in the subject line.