Details: $25.63 per hour
646 Malcolm X Boulevard
New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of our elementary school aged participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
TITLE: Activity Specialist-Dance or Step/ HVA
REPORTS TO: Program Manager/Asst. Program Manager
SITE: PS 175 – 175 W. 135 St. Manhattan, NY 10030
SALARY: $25.63 per hour
HOURS: 6-10 hours per week. Schedule to be determined.
Activity Specialist will work with Mission Society management and school staff to develop and facilitate relevant program activities in a specific field of expertise. Literacy, numeracy and school-day curriculum topics will be reinforced by using vocabulary, reading, writing, and physical activities.
- Responsible for teaching students dance or stepping
- Explain and demonstrate stepping techniques and movement
- Provide developmentally appropriate engaging activities in dance or step
- Choreograph and direct dance or step performance
- Prepare activity specific curriculum, materials, and hand-outs
- Participate in all staff meetings and activities
- Coordinate project-based outcomes with students that will be presented to parents and/or program participants
- Attend all training designated by funders and Program Manager
· Develop and complete weekly lesson plans
· Record and maintain attendance records
· Report performance concerns to Program Manager and/or Assistant Program Manager
· Other duties as assigned
Possess a High School Diploma and one year of experience facilitating activities, including dance or step, with students in an elementary or middle school. Associates Degree preferred.
Minimum Education Required