The New Jersey Institute for Social Justice seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial Director of Development to work with the Institute’s development program to grow our revenue stream and strengthen our relationships with supporters. The Director of Development will help drive and implement the fund development growth strategy and assist with managing the operation of the development programs.
The Institute’s Mission:
Established in 1999 by Alan V. and Amy Lowenstein, the Institute’s cutting-edge racial and social justice advocacy seeks to empower people of color by building reparative systems that create wealth, transform justice and harness democratic power—from the ground up—in New Jersey.
Known for our dynamic and independent advocacy aimed at toppling load-bearing walls of structural inequality to create just, vibrant and healthy communities, we are committed to exposing and repairing the cracks of structural racism in our foundation that erupt into earthquakes in communities of color.
The Institute advocates for systemic reform that is at once transformative, achievable in the state and replicable in communities across the nation.
The Institute is looking to hire a Director of Development.
Reports to: President and CEO
Direct Reports: Grants Manager, Program and Development Associate
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Director of Development will advance the following:
Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership:
· Work in partnership with the Board and senior leadership team to develop and drive the overall strategic goals of the organization
· Drive initiatives within the development team that contribute to long-term organizational success
· Support short and long-term development team planning and strategy
· Consult with others on the senior management team on matters related to fundraising, program operations, organizational priorities, communications and growth
· Help build a culture of philanthropy within the organization and create effective working relationships with Institute staff
· Lead the development team to develop and execute long-term fund development strategies, target potential major donors and foundation partners, and articulate the need for support around the importance of racial and social justice.
· Provide staff leadership to the Board of Trustees for development. Work closely with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees and the President & CEO and the Chief Operating Officer to create and implement the fundraising strategy.
· In partnership with the Chief Operating Officer, develop and manage fundraising budgets; assume clear responsibility for meeting or exceeding budgeted revenue goals; and ensure the use of analytics, data and metrics to forecast and track progress and success of fundraising goals, strategies and tactics.
· Hold organizational responsibility for the success of fundraising programs, including foundation/corporate giving, annual gala, individual donors and major gifts, annual appeals, and online campaigns.
· Oversee Grant Manager’s tracking of grants to ensure compliance, timely reporting and renewal opportunities. Maintain timely communications and establish working relationships with foundations and public entities that fund Hope Solutions.
· Identify and research new potential funding donors and sources, including, corporate, public and private entities.
· Design and execute strategic events and initiatives to enhance organizational standing and brand with key stakeholders.
· Represent the organization at key community and stakeholder meetings
· Effectively manage development staff to inspire peak performance to meet and exceed fundraising goals and work cohesively to maximize funding from existing funders while also building a strong pipeline of supporters.
· Perform other job duties as required.
· Understand our work and coordinate with the communications team to develop compelling narratives to explain our Theory of Change and build a case for support.
· Ensure our messaging to funders and donors is on brand, consistent with other Institute messaging and continuously signals that the organization is a necessary and worthy organization that they should support.
· In conjunction with the communications team, craft effective communications and messages which help engage, educate and steward prospects and donors to maintain interest and excitement for our vision and mission.
· Work with communications to develop online fundraising campaigns.
● Minimum of five years of experience in non-profit fundraising and a proven track record of soliciting, closing and stewarding leadership gifts. Experience soliciting planned gifts, foundation grants and other diverse sources is also desirable.
● Demonstrated experience developing long-term cultivation and solicitation strategies for high-level prospects and donors.
● Superb interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, comfortably and respectfully with donors, staff and lay leaders.
● Broad understanding of multi-faceted campaign planning, implementation and management.
● Strong project management skills.
● Experience and comfort with donor database management and systems to track donor history, interests and activity.
● Understanding of and passion for the Institute’s mission. Ability to understand and speak compellingly about our work.
● A commitment to racial diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
● The ability to work effectively in a collaborative context, both internally and externally.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and donor management databases.
● Ability to travel as well as the flexibility to work as needed to accomplish the organization’s fundraising goals which may include evenings and weekends.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
The New Jersey Institute for Social Justice is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or genetic information.
The New Jersey Institute for Social Justice seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial Director of Development to work with the Institute’s development program to grow our revenue stream and strengthen our relationships with supporters. The…
We offer excellent benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, medical insurance, 401(k), Medical Expense Reimbursement Program, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
We offer excellent benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, medical insurance, 401(k), Medical Expense Reimbursement Program, life and long-term disability insurance, and…
Please send 1) a cover letter explaining your interest in, qualifications for and how you learned about the position as detailed in this announcement, 2) a current resume, and 3) two relevant writing samples by email to: email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line of the email or by mail to:
Director of Development Recruitment
New Jersey Institute for Social Justice
60 Park Place – Suite 511
Newark, NJ 07102
Please send 1) a cover letter explaining your interest in, qualifications for and how you learned about the position as detailed in this announcement, 2) a current resume, and 3) two…