Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, we are leading the fight against corruption to turn this vision into reality.
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Project Manager for the Land and Corruption in Sub-Saharan Africa Project (more details available at https://www.transparency.org/en/projects/land-corruption-sub-saharan-africa). The project’s goal is to ensure that corruption practices in land administration and land deals are addressed contributing to improved livelihoods of men and women. By improving good land governance and supporting more accountable, robust, and transparent institutions in land governance, this will contribute to the ‘The Africa We Want’ envisioned in the African Union’s Agenda 2063.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Project Manager is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation of TI’s Land and Corruption in Sub-Saharan Africa Project coordinating the work flow, financial and administrative management of the project and ensuring that agreed goals, best practice standards, donor obligations and TI-S regulations are met relating to project implementation by TI-S and partners.
Salary Band: salary according to TI-S internal salary structure; for this position corresponding to band PF2 a salary starting EUR 40,000.00 gross per year depending on relevant experience
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years, with the possibility of extension (subject to donor confirmation).
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin – with international travel
Job ID: TIS-PMLAND-2021
The Project Manager, Land and Corruption in Sub-Saharan Africa Programme will:
· Coordinate day-to-day project implementation of the Land and Corruption in Sub-Saharan Africa Project, including activity planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures
· Ensure the smooth implementation of the project, working in close collaboration with colleagues in policy and advocacy, research, communications, monitoring and evaluation, and SAFE (Safeguarding Anti-Corruption Fighters’ Efforts) teams
· Strive for high-quality outputs and the greatest possible impact of project activities in order to advance the anti-corruption agenda in the relevant countries
· Coordinate the preparation of all project management tools (project calendar, workflows, team collaboration plans, documentation and MEL) together with the Programme Lead
· Work in close collaboration and ensure ongoing communication with project partners in the region
· Support project partners in efforts to monitor and evaluate project impact, plan advocacy interventions and communication/outreach activities, and share knowledge and experience across activities
· Contribute to external communications and media work
· Support the TI National Chapters implementing the programme, including regular project check-up meetings
· Monitor activities to ensure compliance with contracts and procedures and that work cycle quality controls are in place
· Ensure that all donor contractual obligations (financial management, fund transfer requests, procurement regulations, financial and narrative reporting, etc.) for the projects are met in a professional, transparent and timely manner
· Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Finance team to build accurate financial forecasts, including reviewing financial reports and identifying in advance areas of over- or under-spending, and flagging any urgent budgetary issues
· Ensure work deliverables meet quality standards and proactively seek input from relevant internal experts as needed
· Generate ideas and develop concept notes/proposals that are aligned with organisational priorities
· Coordinate the organisation of institutional meetings and events as per the project calendar, and ensure the timely and cost-effective execution of project activities and the organisation of related events
· Coordinate and contribute to research relating to land governance; respond to requests from internal and external stakeholders
· Coordinate and contribute to the production of original materials and utilise these materials for the development of relevant outputs
· Stay abreast of developments and be available to respond to on-demand needs by adapting work plans, if necessary
· Contribute to the overall functioning of the team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
· University degree in public policy, international affairs/relations, land management/governance, business administration, management, social science, public administration, economics, or another relevant field; a recognised project management certification highly valued and a clear advantage
· 5+ years of relevant professional experience, preferably with an International NGO or International Organisation, with demonstrated in-depth knowledge of project management best practices
· Knowledge of, or considerable interest in, the work of TI and the field of anti-corruption; solid understanding of and experience in the area of land governance and/or of political realities in the region in which the projects are being implemented a distinct advantage
· Experience with and/or a good understanding of capacity development concepts and processes an advantage
· Demonstrated past engagement in processes that resulted in, or contributed to, positive changes in local organisations an advantage
· Excellent communication and networking skills with the ability to engage multi-stakeholders, make use of prior contacts and networks, stimulate and shape partnerships, networks and coalitions
· Experience in managing donor funded projects in the civil society field an advantage
· Familiarity with donor rules and regulations (in particular the BMZ) an advantage
· Solid understanding of budget/financial management processes (working in collaboration with Project Accountants)
· Experience in organising major events with diverse international partners, in-person and remote
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage projects in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
· Results orientation, resilience and tenacity with the ability to work under pressure in a collaborative setting
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
· Excellent oral and written communication in English; professional language proficiency in French an advantage
· Strong interpersonal, team work and intercultural communication skills, particularly at distance communication
· Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
· Willingness to travel
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
· the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
· a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
· a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
· a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
· opportunities to learn and grow, including regular Show & Tell meetings and visits by external experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
· a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
· generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
· the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
· organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas incl. well-being
· Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
· selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
· free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
· a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media:
Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters…
professional language proficiency in English; French an advantage
professional language proficiency in English; French an advantage
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’ at https://jobdb.softgarden.de/jobdb/public/jobposting/applyonline/click?jp=12429562.
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 10 October 2021.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment…