312 N. Record Avenue
About this role
Collegiate is looking for passionate and dedicated math and science teachers to join our growing team. As a Collegiate math or science teacher, you will play a mission critical role for students by planning and teaching rigorous courses in Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calculus, Chemistry, or Physics; by serving as an academic advisor for a small group of students; and by working hard to shape and uphold strong academic culture throughout the school for all students. This is an excellent opportunity for a teacher with very high expectations for student achievement, who is passionate about rigorous math and/or science instruction and who wants to positively impact an historically underserved community by helping first generation college-going students develop the skills and knowledge they need to prepare for success at the 4-year colleges of their choice.
Roles & Responsibilities
Achievement-Oriented School Culture Champion
Create a positive, achievement-oriented, and structured learning environment that excites and invests students, motivating students to realize high academic and behavioral standards:
- Build classroom community by investing families in students’ academic success and development of strong character and leadership traits.
- Hold all students accountable through implementing school’s code of conduct and positive behavior system during class, transitions, meals, trips, and school events.
- Exemplify Collegiate’s core values in all interactions with students, families, and adult team members.
- Serve as an academic advisor and champion Collegiate’s vision for positive college-going culture among all advisees.
- Implement with fidelity all shared systems at Collegiate (homework policy, behavior management system, uniform policy, etc.).
Utilize Collegiate Charter High School’s instructional frameworks to plan and teach rigorous high school math or science course in Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calculus, Chemistry, or Physics.
- Utilize the Common Core standards and SAT guidance for math or the Next Generation Science Standards and Collegiate’s curriculum frameworks and resources to develop a detailed year-long plan and monthly unit plans for your courses.
- Plan and submit to your instructional coach each week daily lesson plans and high-quality student materials for review, feedback, and revision.
- Use Collegiate’s mastery-based grading policy to evaluate student work and invest students in submission of high quality assignments; provide precise, actionable written feedback on student work.
- Track, analyze and use data from formative and summative assessments to drive instructional planning and to target interventions and supports.
Professional Development, Learning & Growth
Work constantly to improve instructional, culture-building, and leadership skills by seeking and utilizing feedback from instructional coach and peers:
- Prepare arduously for your weekly individual instructional coaching meetings with your coach.
- Participate enthusiastically in all professional development, team planning, and data analysis meetings on a weekly and quarterly basis.
- Work aggressively to deeply learn the relevant math or science standards and best practices in the field for helping students master these standards.
Experience, Mind Sets, Skills, and Qualifications
Successful candidates for this role will evidence:
- Belief in Collegiate Charter High School’s mission and educational model
- Extremely high standards for student achievement
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills
- High level of personal organization, planning, and follow-through
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, relentless optimism, and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- Excellent communication skills, especially with students and parents
- Enthusiasm for subject matter
- Adaptability and the patience to successfully navigate school start-up work
- At least two years of teaching experience preferred with a proven record of high student achievement as evidenced by measurable growth on assessments or other valid measures of academic achievement
- Bachelor’s degree from a competitive 4-year college or university required; Master’s degree preferred
- Valid single-subject California teaching credential in math or science or willingness to immediately and aggressively work to obtain one
Collegiate Charter High School offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans; participation and matching in a 403b retirement fund; and generous vacation and paid leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this role, please email your resume and cover letter to Executive Director Vanessa Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org, and complete the online candidate application: http://www.collegiatecharterhighschooloflosangeles.org/candidate-application.