The Department of Sociology at Columbia University invites applications for a Senior Staff Associate I to work jointly with the Initiative for a Just Society and the Square One Project. The Senior Staff Associate I will spearhead, over the course of three years and in collaboration with the project PIs and their team, the development of an upper-division action-oriented multi-disciplinary curricular program in the humanities, arts, social sciences, public policy, and law, on “Racial Justice and Abolition Democracy.” This model curriculum will be infused with active policy engagement, litigation, and social movement organizing, and builds on ongoing teaching and research at Columbia University. Once developed, the curriculum will be available for adoption, adaptation, and use across the nation in universities and colleges, in prisons, and in community settings.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Working on syllabus design and preparing curricula for approval from Committee on Instruction
- Working with collaborating institutions of higher education to ensure that the courses can be taught at the partner institutions by qualified instructors
- Researching and developing the best methods to make the curriculum available to institutions around the country
- Helping to develop a website to house the syllabi, teaching materials, MOOCs, and resources developed over the three-year project period
- Fostering relationships with faculty, administrators, and students at Columbia and partner institutions whose scholarly interests and research focus on racial justice and abolition democracy
The Senior Staff Associate I will hold a Masters degree in criminal justice policy, sociology or other social sciences and have a background in curriculum development and/or design of undergraduate or master’s degree programs, experience in course design and in undergraduate or graduate program administration; will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting social justice, strong organizational and writing skills, and experience working in an interdisciplinary environment.
The Senior Staff Associate I will be appointed for one year, with renewal of up to two additional years, contingent on satisfactory performance and funding. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The Department of Sociology at Columbia University invites applications for a Senior Staff Associate I to work jointly with the Initiative for a Just Society and the Square One Project. The Senior Staff Associate I will spearhead, over the…