500 19th Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Manager of School Counselors
Job Description and Responsibilities
Unique opportunity to be on a growing team, at an innovative charter boarding school targeting foster care youth
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding school that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and will have 160 students when we reach full enrollment through 8th grade in 2018/19. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life.
About the Position
As a member of the Student Well-Being team, the manager of School Counselors will play an integral role in the development and implementation of a mission-aligned clinical program throughout all aspects of the school. Responsibilities related to management of school counselors include, but are not limited to, supporting counselors in their treatment objectives and adherence to behavioral support hours, management of student well-being lounge, and participation in crisis management and critical incident support. The Well-Being manager will be expected to carry a caseload of students, and work directly with staff and students in the classrooms and well-being spaces to model techniques and provide support.
Monument Academy is adopting a school-wide Dialectical Behavioral Therapeutic model to increase students’ emotional regulation, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness, and mindfulness. As such, the well-being manager will be provided extensive training on DBT principles, as well as weekly individual supervision and biweekly group supervision. With support of the clinical director, school psychologist and external DBT supports, the manager will be expected to support school counselors with executing interventions and making progress in treatment goals.
Experience, Credentials, and Skills
- Candidates must have a licence issued by the District of Columbia Department of Health (i.e. LGSW, LCPC, LICSW, etc.)
- Preferred candidates have a background in administering behavioral support hours for students with Individual Education Plans
- Preferred candidates have supervisory experience
- Competent in case management skills and working with caregivers
- Experience working with at-risk populations in an urban/diverse setting, and/or working with families involved in the child-welfare system
- Experience working with traumatized youth
- Cultural competence in working with students and families from different racial, ethnic, linguistic, and sexual orientation backgrounds
- Experience with DBT therapy a plus
Candidates should possess the following:
Character Traits and Values
- Commitment to the mission of Monument Academy
- Passion for teaching and learning
- Emotional self-regulation, patience, maturity and humility
- Honesty and integrity
- Curiosity and creativity
- Optimism and enthusiasm
- Excellent people skills
- Respect for students, families, and staff
- Ability to accept and integrate feedback into practice
- Proactive and able to anticipate issues and manage unanticipated events with thoughtfulness and grace
- Commitment to positive behavioral approaches
- Willingness to learn and grow in a new school environment
- Thoughtful self-reflection and good self-care skills
- Commitment to teamwork
Location: Washington, D.C.
Monument Academy offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience. The school offers a strong benefits package that includes health care (HMO and PPO options), retirement plan (employer match available), Flexible Spending accounts, and generous vacation leave for its administrators.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.