Equal Opportunity Schools seeks a creative, equity driven, Director of Innovation and Technology. We are a national not-for-profit organization in partnership with over 350 public high schools- and scaling towards 800- to ensure students of color and low-income students have equal access to their high school’s most academically intense high school programs. This new position offers the right candidate the chance to transform the way we use technology to engage our school and district partners and grow our impact.
Through our own online student information system, our robust Tableau-based reporting infrastructure, and our equity driven data and analytics efforts, the use of technology strategies is deeply embedded in our work. This is your chance to make a difference and to use your skills to change education for good. Join us. Come be a part of our team. Come change the world with us.
EOS seeks to hire candidates who have the skills to succeed on a rapidly growing, continuously improving, high-impact, mission-driven team. We seek candidates driven to apply their skills to support opportunities for students of color and low-income students in public high schools across the country. We also seek candidates who want to give coaching and feedback to others and who have the skills to lead collaboratively. We want candidates who seek to apply the best of innovation to the public sector and who believe that technology, in the right hands and with the right design principles, can be an incredible force for change. We seek a Director who shares our desire to be a leader in the use of technology, software and data- particularly focused on mission driven work to transform public education.
As Director of Innovation and Technology, you will provide the tools to enable our national, equity-driven organization to achieve the next phase of scale. Technology and data analysis is key to our ability to improve access for under-served students to the best possible education. This leadership role will oversee the design, development, and implementation of information systems, software applications, data infrastructure, data access and support systems to meet current demands and to lay the foundation for our future.
In general, this role provides leadership and oversight in the following areas:
- Defining architecture and selecting software
- Leading, and collaboratively designing and scoping, projects
- Creating software development processes
- Performing hands-on design, development & testing
- Innovative use of technology to drive equitable opportunities
The Director of Innovation and Technology will:
- Provide strategic vision and oversight for organizational Information Technology and Data systems/programs. Lead and manage the team to implement the vision.
- Become an expert in the role of technology in achieving the organization's mission and lead the effort to improve the mission by creating more powerful analytic tools.
- Design, develop, establish an analytics culture of measuring for success.
- Collaborate with organization leaders and stakeholders in setting a compelling technology roadmap in support of its mission.
- Provide direct oversight and management for all IT and development team members. Foster and build an innovative team focused on student and client impact. Recruit, hire and train technical talent toward meeting the organization's mission.
- Manage and oversee project and program implementation using agile, or other methodologies · Broaden internal skills with effective partner relationships.
- Create standard teams for core applications review. Directly responsible for successfully executing technology initiatives.
- Identify and evaluate to increased utilization of core applications across the organization
- Proactively suggest technology improvements for varying departments across the organization
- Engage with the national technology community; to learn from and collaborate with other technology leaders who share a common vision of equity and opportunity.
This job might be for you if:
You are committed to equity. You steadfastly believe that all students – particularly students of color and low-income students – should have opportunities to access and succeed in the most academically rigorous high school programs. You understand that working for equity is a continual journey and you are motivated by a passion for that journey.
You enjoy working collaboratively with others. You recognize that working with a diverse team of individuals with varying roles and skills can be challenging, but you enjoy this challenge. You work to find creative solutions to best fit a wide range of contexts, needs, uses, and timelines.
You love to learn and grow. You are always looking to improve and to develop new skills, and welcome constructive feedback that helps you get there. You’re excited to learn from other perspectives that will inform your thinking and to contribute to others’ learning.
You are comfortable working in a dynamic, growing organization. Equal Opportunity Schools has experienced incredible growth and success in our 6+ years of existence, but we don’t have it all figured out. You’re excited to take on the challenges that come with a relatively young organization, evolving internal systems and structures, and long-term visions that are still works in progress.
- BA/BS degree/certification in Computer Science/Engineering from an accredited college or university preferred. Highly desired qualifications include a Master's degree and leadership experience in overseeing major IT projects and/or operations in the public/nonprofit sector.
- Experience providing strategic leadership regarding IT and online engagement to a dynamic organization encompassing strategic planning, complex organization structures, project planning, budgeting and management, and process transformation.
- Excellent understanding of software development process; experience with industry benchmarking and best practice implementation.
- Familiar with multi-tenant, SaaS enterprise software systems and architectures.
- Experienced in database application development and reporting systems.
- Proficient in data modeling and information architecture.
- Expertise in SQL.
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails or similar web application frameworks.
- Experienced with agile development methodologies and third-party products and services, including Salesforce.
- Deep knowledge of rapidly evolving trends in digital communications and social media and a passion for staying current in the field.
- Experience in managing external partners and vendors.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed with the ability to demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
- The ability to effectively manage and communicate the balance between client expectations and operational capacity.
- A hands-on leader with unquestioned integrity and ethics with the ability to work within and maintain EOS Core Values.
- Experience with equity, public schools and/or mission-driven work would be an advantage.
Dental, Life, Medical, Vision, PTO...
Minimum Education Required