334 Amsterdam Avenue
The Jack and Shirley Silver Center for Special Needs builds and nurtures an inclusive and accepting community where individuals with varying special needs and their families can participate and succeed in innovative social, recreational, and educational activities. We recognize and respect the diversity of our community as we work to meet the changing needs of individuals with disabilities in the 21st century.
The Employment Specialist assists individuals in working on skills related to performing specific job tasks, as well as with the interpersonal and social skills necessary to be successful in the workplace. He/She should be passionate about helping people with disabilities learn and perform their work duties with the goal of the individual independently maintaining employment. In addition, the Employment Specialist will collaborate with our dynamic Center for Special Needs staff to continue the holistic and person centered approach the Center promotes in all programs.
The primary role of the Employment Specialist is to help adults with disabilities learn and perform their work duties in a community based work experience. The Employment Specialist will provide on-site ongoing support to individuals participating in an internship experience and their supervisors within a business/organization
Managing a Community Based Work Experience/Internship Site:
- Coaching participants on all aspects of soft skills in the workplace as well as the assigned department specific tasks
- Demonstrate techniques to aid independence and fade coaching to both the participant and the department supervisors.
- Documenting weekly and monthly case notes and forms, as well as communicating with ACCES VR Counselors, to reflect services provided as per ACCES VR Contract.
- Supporting and acting as a resource for department managers, supervisors and staff supporting interns.
- Offering trainings for departments on working with individuals with autism and or other developmental disabilities
- Assisting with job development including writing resumes, cover letters, applications and interview preparation.
- Conduct employer outreach and customize positions for individuals in the program
Additional responsibilities include:
- Providing on site job coaching when an individual is hired to assist both the participant and employer in onboarding, learning new tasks and achieving independence.
- Providing retention support including regular in-person or phone/email contact.
- Working one-on-one and in small groups with participants to assess their capabilities using customized skills assessments
- Creating and maintaining relationships with employers, other service providers and other JCC Staff
- Attending Job Team meetings and supervision with the Director of the Adaptations Job Program
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelors, Masters preferred, in Special Education, Rehabilitation Counseling, Human Resources or Social Work
- At least 3 years’ prior experience in working with individuals with special needs or in job development.
- Enthusiasm, creativity, sensitivity and passion for assisting and empowering individuals with disabilities in integrated employment opportunities.
- About 20 hours/week. Must be available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com