462 36th Street, PHB
About Atlas DIY
Atlas: DIY, is creating a world powered by the joy, freedom, and endless possibility of all youth everywhere. Our mission is to unlock immigrant youth’s access to legal services, leadership development, and educational opportunity in a space governed by young people themselves. Founded in 2012 by a public interest attorney and three young leaders, Atlas has in a short time grown into an million dollar-organization earning national and international acclaim. We reach over 800 members aged 14-24 at our Sunset Park space, and nearly 10,000 people of all ages through community engagement, and thousands more through online engagement and informational videos regarding immigration issues.
About the position
Atlas DIY’s legal team has been recognized by many public and private bodies including the Echoing Green Foundation, the Immigrant Justice Corps, the New York City Council, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. At Atlas, Staff Attorneys play a critical role, ensuring that the organization can work towards its mission by providing direct legal representation to our members in their immigration cases for various forms of humanitarian relief, and by helping ensure that Atlas provides the highest-quality legal and informational services to the communities with whom we work. The Staff Attorney will provide direct legal representation to Atlas members in their defensive and affirmative immigration cases, and provide occasional support for RISE, our pro se application assistance clinic, which is comprised of a DOJ partially accredited representative, and six youth staff. Additionally, the Staff Attorney may be called upon to participate in Know Your Rights presentations and community outreach. This position reports directly to Atlas’s Director of Legal Services.
- Provide direct legal representation to immigrant youth, ages 14-24, and their derivatives in affirmative and defensive asylum, SIJS, U-visa, T-visa, DACA, adjustment of status, and naturalization cases
- Commit to and practice Atlas’s culturally competent and client-centered approach to lawyering, by ensuring that clients understand their cases and the relevant legal procedures they navigate.
- Work collaboratively with the members of Atlas’ legal team, including our pro se application assistance clinic;
- Provide general support for Atlas’s community education and outreach efforts in collaboration with Atlas’ programming staff
- Perform other duties as required
- Admission to the New York State bar and at least three years of relevant immigration law experience, including forms of humanitarian immigration relief in both affirmative and defensive contexts;
- Some supervisory experience preferred;
- Experience working with immigrant youth and/or social justice issues is preferred.
- Spanish fluency required.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Atlas: DIY and to supporting immigrants’ rights and strong belief in the agency and capacity of young people to be leaders and changemakers
- Demonstrated record of being a supportive mentor and supervisor
- Consistently meets agreed on expectations and follow through on their commitments
- Organized and detail-oriented, successful at getting things done
- A pro-active clear, direct, and sensitive written and verbal communicator
- Ability to thrive in culturally and linguistically diverse settings
- Team player, able to collaborate and work well with others
Salary will be commensurate with experience and competitive with other similar positions in the nonprofit sector. Atlas DIY also offers a generous benefits package including subsidized health, dental, and vision plans, individual annual professional development budgets, generous time-off policies, and opportunities for professional advancement in a growing organization. This position is full time and exempt. Atlas DIY is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- a brief statement of interest (in body of email)
- a resume
- with the subject line “Staff Attorney” to firstname.lastname@example.org
No hard copies, phone calls or inquires about the position please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interested parties are strongly encouraged to submit application materials before April 29, 2018