6301 Montrose Road
B’nai Israel Congregations in Rockville, MD is seeking a Director, Youth Engagement. We are a multi-generational, egalitarian, Conservative congregation with 1100 family members. As a member of the senior staff, this position would coordinate and collaborate with professional and lay leadership, including the clergy, the Education Director, and the Youth Committee. In so doing, the Director, Youth Engagement will develop a comprehensive and inspiring youth program which includes youth group activities, person-to-person outreach, and the cultivation of youth leadership.
B’nai Israel has four youth groups: Bonim (K-2nd), Machar (3rd-5th), Kadima (6th-8th) and USY (9th-12th). The Director of Youth Engagement supervises the youth group advisors, develops programming, and inspires a culture of participation among our youth. Beyond this, the Director of Youth Engagement takes a holistic approach to youth engagement by collaborating with our Talmud Torah & Day School Committees, and other relevant parties to engage all B’nai Israel youth.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
· Serve as the advisor for USY
· Supervise our youth group advisors
· Engage teens through personal outreach, programming, and Shabbat experiences
· Become an essential member of our Shabbat staff
· Assist with programming for the High Holidays
· Teach in the Upper School (Grades 7-10) of our Talmud Torah
· Oversee synagogue-wide programming related to youth (i.e. Purim Carnival)
· Foster relationships and maintaining connections with our college students
· Collaborate with Asst. Rabbi and Education Director for the 5th & 6th Grade Kallah
· Work with the Scholarship Committee to distribute awards for Ramah, USY, Israel programming, and other
scholarships as available
Our ideal candidate:
· Interacts comfortably with people of all ages.
· Writes articulately in all manners of communication.
· Pays close attention to details and possesses superb organizational skills.
· Demonstrates flexibility in their schedule to accommodate evening meetings, weekend programs, and overnight events as appropriate for the position.
WHAT MATTERS TO US:
- Bachelors degree required; Masters preferred
- Experience working with youth and families in a Jewish setting
- 2-4 years’ experience in a Jewish organization working as camp counselor or coordinator of activities is a plus
- Creative, visionary and innovative.
- Familiarity with and commitment to living a Conservative Jewish lifestyle
- Excellent communication skills, and experience using social media for marketing, and large group communications
- Organized with proven ability to implement and follow through
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Able to collaborate with others to create and sustain positive working relationships
- Able to lead programming on Shabbat and holidays
WHAT MATTERS TO YOU:
B’nai Israel Congregation is proud of its history and appreciates its staff. As a congregation approaching its 100th year anniversary, there is a rich history here and culture that we are committed to maintaining. All fulltime employees are eligible for the following benefits.
· Two Weeks paid vacation
· Ten Sick days; (where eligible part-time employees will receive up to 32 hours of earned paid sick and safe leave and 24 hours of unpaid earned sick and safe leave in a calendar year.)
· Jewish holidays
· Federal holidays
· Two Personal days
· Up to five days of bereavement leave
· Long Term Disability
· Medical and Dental benefits (Carefirst and Dominion Dental)
· Flexible and Dependent Care Spending Accounts (FSA/DCA)
· 403b Retirement Plan
Founded in 1925, B’nai Israel has been a major presence in the Washington area for generations. We are a caring community that supports members in times of need and celebrates life’s joyous moments together. We celebrate our staff, inspire individuals and assist them in charting their own spiritual and professional journeys. We engage in the larger community, doing our part to improve the world and sustain the institutions of Jewish life here and in Israel.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required