1411 K Street Northwest
District of Columbia
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Young Invincibles (YI) is recruiting for a Senior Director of Finance and Operations. This executive-level position will report to and partner with YI’s new Executive Director to grow the organization in exciting new ways over the next few years and develop the systems and processes to manage and sustain that growth. The Senior Director of Finance and Operations will set YI’s financial, HR and operational direction while also being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall strategy. She or he will oversee all financial administration, internal business planning, budgeting, human resources, nonprofit compliance, risk management and IT needs of the organization, as well as several affiliated organizations. As a member of the executive team, the Senior Director of Operations and Finance will work closely with a motivated and engaged finance and governance committee of the board of directors. This position will manage other operations and HR staff.
Reports to: Executive Director
Strategy and Leadership
• Partner with the Executive Director on operational and strategic issues as they arise; provide strategic recommendations to the ED based on financial analysis and projections and organizational HR policies and needs.
• Oversee the organization’s financial planning process including: budgeting, cash flow, grant expenditures and policy matters. Advise the ED and other key members of senior management on financial and operational matters.
• Serve as a liaison to the board and the point of contact for the audit committee; effectively communicate and present critical organizational matters at board of directors and committee meetings.
• Contribute to the development of YI’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
• Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the senior leadership informed of all critical issues.
• Represent the organization externally as necessary.
• Oversee budgeting, and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational metrics both internally and externally.
• Ensure that finance staff, including outsourced accountants, maintains financial record systems in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and monitor the use of all funds.
• Manage the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials and metrics for funding organizations and YI’s board of directors; prepare and communicate monthly and annual financial statements.
• Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based, and departmental accounting.
• Manage all audit activities.
• Work with deputy director to ensure that regional offices and department leads understand their budgets, make decisions on resource allocations and appropriately track expenditures against budgets.
• Oversee all benefits negotiations, thus providing the most competitive packages for YI employees. • Review all formal finance-, HR-, and IT-related procedures, processes, and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward.
• Oversee progress on YI’s HR, talent management, retention, and diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) goals.
• Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
• Ensure YI is compliant with nonprofit regulations including lobbying regulations, for profit partnerships, c4 administration, business registrations, and employment law.
• Provide support to YI’s internal management team including development of internal management reporting capabilities.
• Manage YI’s risk management planning and mitigation strategies.
• Analyze YI’s current infrastructure and future organizational needs and implement systems that support the growth of the organization.
• Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance, HR, operations and IT consultants
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
• Business degree, a master’s in business administration or CPA preferred
• Prior experience in an operations or management role
• Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization; must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
• Proven track record of success facilitating organizational change and development within a growing organization
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
• Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical operations initiatives.
• Exceptional written and oral, presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, YI’s board of directors, and staff
• Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
Comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, & vision coverage, company funded HRA plan; 401K retirement, life insurance, generous vacation, etc.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and write “Senior Director, Finance & Operations” in the subject of email.