At Rocketship, one of our key pillars is building authentic parent power in our community. In our Parent Organizing Committees (POCs) and County Coalitions, parents advocate tirelessly for their children by becoming community leaders in education equity. The position involves working with current parent leaders to develop their knowledge of governance, power, political dynamics, and systematic barriers affecting their families, especially for underserved communities. Simultaneously, the organizer will work to recruit and train new parents in community organizing skills, drawing them into the movement and increasing parent voice, involvement, and presence in the education political landscape of San Jose and California as a whole. The Bay Area Education Organizer is a full-time, exempt position on Rocketship’s Parent Leadership and Growth and Community Engagement (GCE) functions, serving the Bay Area community. This role will report to the regional parent leadership lead, collaborate with fellow organizers and the San Jose Regional Director, as well as partnering effectively with school leaders, families, community organizations, and stakeholders in advocacy for educational equity at our Rocketship schools.
This position includes primary work in San Jose with potential travel to Redwood City.
- Build the capacity of parents to understand the State and local educational landscape, key decision makers, and power of community, through the PICO Organizing Cycle.
- Recruit, mobilize, and retain a network of parents and community stakeholders that build advocacy and engagement to transform our local communities.
- Complete one-on-one relational meetings every week (approximately 15-20) with current and future parent leaders and other important stakeholders that build organizing capacity and engagement.
- Work closely with the San Jose GCE team, remain informed on the local education politics landscape and develop coordinated grasstops - grassroots strategies.
- Foster relationships and develop champions with community-based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, civic and community leaders that leads to elevating parent organizing.
- Lead charter renewal parent organizing campaigns and support parent-led civic and local campaigns for education equity.
- The ability to position Rocketship in the policy arena as an agent for positive change through strong communication and strategic skills
- Capacity to think strategically and critically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community
- Demonstrated ability to interact and cultivate support among diverse stakeholders
- A results-oriented, goal-driven, team approach to work
- The desire to learn and an openness to challenge
- A sense of urgency and passion for social justice and equity in education
- A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills
- Verbal and written fluency in Spanish and English
- Experience using Google Apps and a willingness to learn and implement new technology
- Ability to work some nights and weekends, as campaigns require
- This position requires daily travel between school sites and the Rocketship San Jose & Redwood City Network offices (may look different in the interim due to current COVID-19 restrictions). Valid Driver’s licence and access to vehicle required.
- 1+ year experience in community organizing, education reform, or engagement in grassroots movements
- Experience managing and/or leading community organizing campaigns and mobilizing support
- Experience working with organizations or schools in a diverse community
- Familiar with local and/or state politics, education politics & movements
- A bachelor’s degree