About De la Gente
De la Gente (DLG) creates economic opportunity for coffee farming communities in Guatemala. Through our coffee trade, technical assistance, financing, and community tourism programs carried out alongside our partner cooperatives, we are working together to build a more equitable, inclusive, and prosperous future for small-scale coffee farmers.
De la Gente’s service learning trips are immersive experiences that offer meaningful interaction for participants with farmers and their families. Through hands-on learning, activities and a service project, they will get a glimpse of local life while gaining an in-depth appreciation for the lives and challenges of small-scale producers and successful approaches to community-based development.
The Service Learning Program Manager is responsible for all aspects of De la Gente’s service learning trips. This role manages outreach and partner relationships, development of itineraries, provider relationships, and execution and leading of programs. You’ll connect with universities and other partners to share our eye-opening experiences and build our annual SLT calendar, and lead action-packed service learning trips for participants, mostly in the Antigua area.
- Build annual service learning trip (SLT) calendar by working with current and potential partners
- Identify potential partners and conduct outreach to universities and other institutions via phone and email
- Develop and adapt SLT itineraries based on partner needs and focus areas
- Communicate with leaders of service learning trips to build relationships prior to arrival
- Manage execution of SLTs, including arrangement with providers
- Act as primary trip leader, translator, and cultural liaison for SLTs
- Supervise any support staff during program season
- Ensure groups have an impactful and positive adventure during their Guatemala and De la Gente experience
- Reports to the executive director
- Min 1-2 years experience in the travel, tourism, international education or hospitality sector
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience working with leading group travel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills, organization and attention to detail, ability to multitask
- Ability to work under pressure, learn quickly, and adapt to changing situations
- Professional fluency in English
- Working proficiency in Spanish
- Ability to assess health/emergency situations
- First aid training
- Q 7,000.00 monthly compensation
- 4 weeks (20 days) annual paid vacation and 10 office holidays
- Compensation time accrued for weekend and holiday work
- Private health insurance plan
- Opportunity to work in a small, dynamic organization with a diverse team dedicated to improving the economic situation of Guatemalan farmers and producers
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please email your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The one-page cover letter should include information on past experience, your interest in this position, what you would bring to our team, and what you expect from this opportunity.
Please put “Application for Service Learning Program Manager [LAST NAME]” as the subject line of your email.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.
Start Date: May 2, 2018, or as otherwise agree