40 Worth Street, 10th Floor
A Better Balance: The Work & Family Legal Center seeks a Director of Communications & Marketing, based in its New York office, to create, lead, and implement communications and marketing strategies that support the mission of the organization. A Better Balance is dedicated to promoting equality and choices for men and women at all income levels so they can care for their families without sacrificing their economic security. To bring about lasting changes in workers lives, ABB works at the local, state and federal levels employing three overlapping strategies:
- Policy Advocacy: We research, draft, and testify on behalf of bills that support workers’ rights and fight discrimination, centering legislation that lies at the intersection of gender and economic justice.
- Legal Services and Impact Litigation: We provide legal support and advice to vulnerable workers through direct representation and through our free legal hotlines and take on cases we think will have maximum impact.
- Enforcement and Education: We work with government agencies and coalition partners to ensure that laws protecting workers are not only passed, but also enforced. We provide vital information to workers about their rights, and spark and shape national conversations on work and family through media and public speaking engagements.
Founded in 2006, A Better Balance is led by co-presidents and co-founders, Dina Bakst and Sherry Leiwant, and has grown from an idea into a 20-person national organization with offices in New York and Nashville, and an annual budget of almost $2 million raised from foundations and individuals. During the last decade, ABB has fought for and won victories across the country in improved paid leave, equal pay, pregnancy and caregiver protection, breastfeeding accommodations, LGBTQ protection, and other protections that transform working women’s—and, indeed, all workers’—ability to hold down their jobs while showing up for their families.
In an environment where an emboldened opposition is taking aim at critical legal protections, ABB is uniquely positioned—locally grounded, regionally networked, with strong relationships at the national level—to work in partnerships and coalitions to defend past gains, secure new protections, and advance change in multiple arenas. The organization’s advocacy and legal efforts have gained national and international media recognition. We are dedicated to utilizing communications as an effective strategy to lift up the voices of our clients and those most directly affected by our policy work. Learn more at www.abetterbalance.org.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of an integrated communications strategy to advance the organization’s brand identity and broaden awareness of the issues that workers experience and ABB’s public policy advocacy, litigation and education efforts in its primary areas: paid leave, paid sick days, pregnancy discrimination, equal pay, and LGBTQ rights as well as other issues that cut across program areas.
- Increase the visibility of ABB’s accomplishments and impact at local, state, and federal levels across key audiences, including advocates, media, policymakers, and funders.
- Reporting directly to the co-presidents and co-founders, work with the entire leadership team and staff to identify internal and external communications opportunities and challenges, and define and execute strategies to support them.
- Serve as a communications counselor to ABB’s leadership, staff, and board to ensure consistency in the organization’s branding and messaging in all contexts.
Communications and Operations
- Direct content development, messaging, design, publication, and distribution for all outreach initiatives, including ABB’s website and social media properties, printed publications, videos, campaigns, and other public awareness and fundraising materials.
- Work closely as a thought- and action-partner with the Director of Development in integrating ABB’s public awareness and fundraising initiatives and in developing branding, messaging, and content for the organization’s fundraising products and events.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key members of the broadcast, print, and online news media, manage press events, and develop robust strategies for expanding ABB’s visibility through aggressive media relations campaigns.
- Develop and support the co-presidents, along with other members of ABB’s leadership team, staff, clients, and board members, to serve as spokespeople for the organization and its issues by conducting media trainings as needed and providing talking points and other preparatory materials and activities.
- Oversee the creation and dissemination of effective storytelling vehicles to communicate the realities of the lives of our clients and workers affected by unfair and discriminatory policies and practices.
- Develop and oversee all digital marketing, website enhancement and management, improved SEO, and increased social media presence to maximize impact.
- Write and/or edit key communications materials by translating legal language into appropriate and compelling text for news releases, press statements, media advisories, op-ed pieces, e-newsletters, and blog posts in collaboration with other staff.
- Develop annual strategic communications calendars, plans, and timelines.
- Oversee the daily Communications and Marketing activities, including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
Team Development and Representation
- Lead and mentor ABB staff including one half-time direct report as well as a range of consultants and vendors so that they effectively support the development and execution of a comprehensive communications strategy, with the potential for growing the department as needs and funding dictate.
- Promote a culture of innovation, high performance, continuous improvement, and close-knit camaraderie, both within and outside the department.
- Advocate for communications and marketing within the organization, promote the department’s advisory value, and integrate staff into the greater communications effort.
- Ensure that the expectations of board, leadership, and staff are realistic and consistently met.
The ideal candidate would have the following professional and personal characteristics:
- Five to seven years of relevant experience, in positions of increasing responsibility in the fields of communications, marketing, and media relations, preferably at an advocacy organization, on a political campaign, and/or in a public official’s office.
- In-depth knowledge about the public policy process and familiarity with women’s rights, economic justice, racial justice, legal advocacy, and/or other progressive public policy issues.
- Strong commitment to A Better Balance’s mission, vision, and values.
- Calm demeanor and ability to work well under deadline pressures and manage simultaneously a variety of different tasks and functions.
- A proven track record of exceptional writing and editing of a variety of promotional, media, consumer and/or advocacy-related materials.
- Solid record of developing and leading successful communications and marketing strategies in a fast-paced and mission-driven environment.
- Experience with branding, online fundraising and outreach.
- Experience in planning and facilitation of organizational growth and evolution, and in developing and mentoring a team of communications specialists.
- Excellent judgment, discretion, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Confidence and diplomatic skill in communicating with, negotiating with, and advising high-performing and passionate board, staff, and leadership team members.
- High level of energy, initiative, and imagination—and a healthy sense of humor.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience; A Better Balance offers a generous benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
A Better Balance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this position.
Please submit letter of interest, resume (including any salary requirements), writing samples/links, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Communications/Marketing). Applications will only be accepted by email. The position will remain open until a qualified candidate is chosen.