Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Jericho Project was founded in 1983 on the belief that every homeless individual can make transformational change towards a better life. Jericho is a growing and dynamic nonprofit supportive housing agency which is dedicated to recruiting and retaining highly qualified and motivated employees.
Our mission is to end homelessness at its roots by creating a community that inspires individual change, fosters sustainable independence, and motivates men and women to reach their greatest potential. Jericho provides supportive housing to formerly homeless and at-risk men and women through seven congregate supportive housing residences in Central Harlem and the Bronx and Supportive Apartment Program in the Bronx and several non-residential programs.
Career Counselor will provide direct services to program participants in order to help them achieve the highest possible level of employment, educational attainment, and/or other meaningful activity, e.g., paid internship. Career Counselor will work closely with the site director and the case management team to ensure that tenants’ employment and educational goals are fully met.
- Manage a caseload of 70+ program participants.
- Maintain active engagement in all phases of tenant enrollment in WfO services, from outreach to completion of assessments and service plans.
- Develop creative client engagement strategies and maintain high level of participation in WfO services; conduct, at minimum, bi-weekly outreach to all participants and maintain related progress notes.
- Complete employment and educational assessments on all participants; ensure that assessments and service plans are updated twice a year and more often where needed.
- Identify and refer participants to job training programs; HSE, ESOL and other adult literacy programs; college and other higher education programs, as identified in the participant service plans.
- Assist participants in developing a job readiness portfolio, consisting of a resume and cover letter, and assessment of interviewing skills.
- Work closely with WfO’s Employment Specialists; respond to job leads within required timeframes; identify and refer participants for matching positions, using the Electronic Case Management system (ECM) and other methods of referral.
- Assist participants in conducting independent job search; identify new job leads as needed and make direct referrals to employers.
- Provide job retention and follow up services to all employed participants for a minimum of two years; offer re-placement services and referrals to training and educational programs as needed.
- Access community resources to aide participants in their job search, job retention and/or re-placement efforts.
- Actively participate in case conferencing sessions with the case management team and the program director.
- Regularly attend the WfO monthly team meetings and supervisory meetings as scheduled and required by the program director.
- Maintain and update participant records in ECM.
- Provide reports on participant engagement, job readiness/job search/education/training activities, and job placement outcomes as required by the program director.
- Other responsibilities as assigned and required by the emerging needs of programs and participants, such as service delivery in multiple sites for multiple programs.
Jericho Project offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, retirement plan, and three weeks paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
Human Resources Department
Job Code: Career Counselor
245 W. 29th Street, Suite 902
New York, NY 10001
No Phone Calls Please.
Jericho Project is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. www.jerichoproject.org