Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
The Dean of Students at Brooke Mattapan is an integral part of the school’s leadership team. Brooke Mattapan is a school where positivity and high expectations for all scholars are paramount. The Dean of Students is responsible for building and maintaining the school’s positive culture on a daily basis. The Dean of Students will work closely with the school leadership team (the Principal, Assistant Principals, the Dean of Students, and Director of Operations) to build upon Brooke Mattapan’s positive school culture.
- Believe that an excellent school culture has high expectations for all students in order to create a positive learning environment
- Thrive as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
- Demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback, coaching, and professional development
- Constantly assesses progress and communicate directly
- Being a native Spanish Speaker or Haitian Creole is prefered.
- Have a strong work ethic and be committed to doing whatever it takes for students to excel
- Committing to an extended school day (7:00 am-5:30 pm) and remaining available to teachers, students, and families outside of school hours.
- Performing duties outside the classroom to contribute to safe, calm, and consistent school culture.
General responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Working closely with the Principal, the Assistant Principals, and the current Dean of Students to develop positive school culture and maximize learning time
- Supporting the school’s mission and promoting respect for all students, staff, and parents
- Serving as point person for students and families regarding all disciplinary actions and other culture issues
- Managing detention for 5th-8th grade students (making parent phone calls, scheduling detention, leading detention daily from 4:00-5:00 pm, 12:30-1:30 pm on Wednesdays)
- Using data to inform culture support with teachers
- Being highly present and visible during school hours
- Modeling positive interactions with students and a variety of ways to handle misbehavior and disruptions
- Managing breakfast, lunch, arrival and dismissal with the Director of Operations
- Serving alongside the Principal, the Assistant Principals, and the current Dean of Students as a resource for teachers to determine best ways to address challenging student behavior
- Collaborating with staff and parents to create and implement effective individual behavior plans for at-risk students
- Providing students in crisis with space and strategies to cope and to improve in-class behaviors
Qualified candidates have:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Two-plus years experience teaching or working with youth/children in a supervisory capacity preferred
- Spanish or Haitian Creole Language fluency prefered
- A belief in the mission and values of Brooke
A MA Teaching License is not required to apply for this role.
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.
Minimum Education Required