1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
Scope of the Position
The Finance Associate will collect, organize, review, analyze and reconcile financial information from an assigned portfolio of country offices to ensure all data is complete and in compliance with HKI policies and procedures. S/he will also support the gathering and tracking of information related exchange rate fluctuations and to our annual audit. Please note that the position is designed to work as a member of a team where each position provides redundancy for duties across the team.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Field Accounting in the Controller’s unit of the Finance Department. The nature of the role requires regular interaction with Finance staff at the regional and country office level to ensure all documentation.
HKI has a matrixed reporting structure that respects both the line management and authority within country office and regional hierarchies; and the accountability and oversight duties of subject matter experts and multi-country program managers at the regional and headquarters level. Regular communication and a spirit of team work among colleagues, both hierarchically and laterally are essential to make this structure thrive.
In regards to assigned portfolio of country offices:
- Manage the receipt, audit, and recording to the ledger of all field income and expense on a monthly basis.
- Review incoming financial statements and schedules from country offices and update monthly checklists and trackers
- Develop and maintain schedule of incoming documentation, work-in-process and posting of field financial reports. Meet field account posting deadlines established by Controller.
- Download regional and country office financial data.
- Upload monthly transactions into accounting system and compute shared cost.
- Verify exchange rate computation is in accordance with HKI’s accepted methodology.
- Apply accounting techniques and standard practices (particularly for government funding compliance) to the classification and recording of financial transactions.
- Resolve all outstanding reconciled items, categorized or improperly categorized transactions, and improperly documented transactions expeditiously. Instruct country and regional office on adjustments to be made if errors are detected.
- Analyze and reconcile intercompany accounts, ensuring accuracy of database reports vis a vis bank statements.
- Review bank reconciliations for accuracy and completeness
- Present variances or anomalies that may have short or long-term implications to Senior Manager, Field Accounting
- Conduct a thorough desk audit for one country each month.
- Analyze field Financial Statements on a quarterly basis. Compare all schedule balances and ensure they are reconciled to the Financial Statements; list discrepancies and contact country office to resolve, with regional office in copy.
- On an annual basis:
- Gather and track country office data and documentation for the annual audit:
- Maintain a tracker of documents requested by the auditor and submitted; and
- Verify accuracy and completeness of documentation submitted.
- Conduct a certification of severance accounts
- Review subaward schedules and ensure they tie to the general ledger and that data is available in the proper format for the 990 submission.
- Review and analyze the status of each country office bank account to support FBAR filings.
- Maintain field office electronic and paper files.
In support of entire Field Finance portfolio, conduct the following monthly and annual tasks:
- Monitor exchange rate fluctuations; Prepare graphs for Controller and provide data to Finance Systems Administrator for central database of record.
- Calculate currency gains and losses.
- Support project and country office audits, as assigned.
- Prepare ad hoc reconciliations and schedules as required.
- Back up duties of colleagues to ensure consistent coverage and segregation of duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or a related field plus at least 2-3 years directly relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to use basic accounting principles.
- Organized, detail-oriented individual with strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting and spreadsheet software; familiarity with NetSuite and or QuickBooks a strong plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively across cultures and to communicate complex information to colleagues with less knowledge.
- Strong computer literacy. Proficient in use of spreadsheets and databases; eager to learn new platforms.
- Ability to prioritize workload, assume responsibility for work, and follow through to completion.
- Positive customer service attitude.
- Strong motivation for working in a non-profit environment.
- Current US work authorization plus residence in or willingness to relocate to the NY metro area.
- Experience in a multi-national organization and/or the non-profit sector
Level of Language Proficiency
French language skills a strong plus.
Minimum Education Required