Covenant House is the largest provider of youth homeless services and operates in 31 cities across the US, Canada, and Latin America. In February 2017, Covenant House Illinois (CHIL) opened its doors in Chicago to youth experiencing homelessness (ages 18-24). Each young person is welcomed into a safe, caring environment where they are assigned a case manager and given access to food, showers, laundry services, and beds to rest. In addition, through agreements with leading Chicago agencies, these young people have access to medical, mental health, substance abuse, and legal services on-site.
Covenant House Illinois (CHIL) marks the 31st Covenant House location, and is the first site to open in a new state in nearly 20 years. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, Covenant House Illinois supports the chief mission of providing youth experiencing homelessness with comprehensive crisis care and ongoing support.
This position provides direct, individualized, supportive care to youth who attend day service programming and/or reside in the residential program while establishing good rapport with staff and partnering agencies.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure the provision of the highest quality delivery of services to youth in accordance with the Covenant House Mission Statement and Principles and Core Values.
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of client goal plans.
- Maintain all required youth documentation and notes, including timely data entry into our Efforts-to-Outcomes (ETO) data management system.
- Participate in team case management, case review, transition and team meetings.
- Supervise all youth activities and engage youth in a positive manner.
- Ensure a safe, healthy environment which reflects Covenant House principles.
- Escort youth to external activities.
- Facilitate and monitor group support services including meals, activities, and meetings.
- Document information regarding all client interaction, caseload progress and outside agency contact and maintain updated records of youth progress in ETO.
- Complete all status documentation including census, intake and discharge, youth profiles and assessments.
- Ensure allocation and documentation of petty cash, youth savings, and resources.
- Participate in special projects which enhance the experience of the youth.
- Ensure accurate and timely tracking, documentation, and reporting of data and statistics as required for agency reports.
- Provide assistance with events/activities as assigned or directed by the Director of Program Implementation.
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Program Implementation.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Two (2) years of work experience working with youth.
- The ability to maintain order and exercise appropriate judgment in crisis situations, with effective interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work with youth that have poor social skills, suffer from mental illness, and have substance abuse problems.
- Must have effective written, verbal, and listening communication skills.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word.
- Light physical work is required: The employee is regularly required to remain stationary for some periods of time; use hands and fingers; communicate; move; occasionally required to position self to stoop; kneel or crouch; frequently required to reach with and use arms and hands.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to focus.
- Must be able to walk upstairs and lift up to ten (10) lbs.
- Commitment to Covenant House’s mission to serve homeless youth.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including a defined contribution plan (403)b plan with an annual employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, employee assistance plan, long-term disability plan, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, personal days, sick days and paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply for this position, candidates should e-mail a cover letter and current resume with salary requirements. Please indicate the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
Covenant House Illinois is an Equal Opportunity Employer.