211 3rd Avenue
The St. Margaret’s Center provides emergency and supportive services to poverty level and homeless individuals and families in the LAX area of Los Angeles. The Program Coordinator will oversee and assist with the implementation of a new Catholic Urban Farming Initiative----including working with existing gardens and launching new sites at low-income parishes/schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese---aligned with the USDA-funded SNAP-Ed program requirements.
As a member of the Initiative Steering Committee the Program Coordinator will participate in strategic decisions, implementation and oversight of efforts pertaining to the initiative’s goal of equipping communities with resources for establishing small and efficient urban farms that will grow nutritious food for families in need in their local communities. The initiative aims to establish at least 75 urban farms in schools and parishes in the Archdiocese by 2025. Specifically, the Program Coordinator will serve as a liaison to 5-10 existing pilot schools and parishes in underserved communities in Los Angeles and will be responsible for establishing new sites in Los Angeles County.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate the pilot parishes’ and schools existing garden programs and resource development, and liaison with project staff/volunteers.
- Research additional sites for gardens at parishes/schools and meet with parish/school staff/volunteers to initiate new gardens.
- Assist with processes necessary for the acquisition, organization, and maintenance of materials and resources that will sustain a working garden that supplies vegetables and fruits for food pantry programs.
- Regularly communicate information about the available resources and services of the gardens to collaborating partners.
- Facilitate regular meetings with the Urban Farming working group to advance the project.
- Participate in SNAP-Ed required and recommended trainings and activities.
- Collect, analyze and submit data to SNAP-Ed PEARS system, and participate in evaluation activities conducted by Catholic Charities California evaluators.
- Establish a garden manual for program replication and expansion.
- Develop a budget and timeline for pilot project and expansion.
- Work with staff to select SNAP-Ed approved curricula for youth, and coordinate nutrition education classes for parents with existing SNAP-Ed staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One to three years of related experience, including outreach, preferred.
- Effective skills and knowledge in growing and maintaining a production garden.
- Evidence of effective organizational, computer and communication skills.
Location: Venice, with travel in L.A. County up to 50% of time.
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week, M-F, flexible schedule, possible weekends
Generous Benefits Package to include:
- Life Insurance
- Short / Long Term Disability
- AFLAC Available
- 12 Paid Vacation Days Per Year
- 10 Paid Sick Days Per Year
- 12 Paid Holidays Per Year
- Retirement Plan provided by Company
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Simultaneously mail, email or fax resume to (1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, fax to (213) 251-3402, email@example.com EOE; and (2), Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Email submissions preferred, no calls please.