Bilingual Project Assistant / Parent-Child Specialist (Spanish) - NYU Langone
- Job posted by BELLE Project (NYU School of Medicine)
462 1st Avenue
The Bellevue Project for Early Language, Literacy, and Education Success (BELLE)
NYU Langone Health School of Medicine
We are seeking Spanish-English bilingual project assistants to work on behavioral projects in the Department of Pediatrics at NYU Langone Health School of Medicine, based at NYC H+H/Bellevue. We are examining and delivering parenting interventions to improve child development outcomes in at-risk populations at pediatric clinics across in New York City (in particular, the Video Interaction Project; www.videointeractionproject.org; PI: Alan Mendelsohn, MD). The candidate will be responsible for multiple project tasks, and will work with a multidisciplinary team of pediatricians, psychologists, and other child development professionals.
Specific tasks may include:
· Administer standardized program to parents of infants and young children, which involves tips about reading, playing, and interacting with children, videotaping parents and children playing together, providing general positive reinforcement about the video (Video Interaction Project)
· Maintaining records of family participation in the program
· Developing rapport with parents and children who are in the program
· Coordinate with parents and track/schedule upcoming program visits
· Conduct interviews with parents about a range of topics, including screens for depression and questions about their child’s development and behaviors
· Administer standardized, pre-existing developmental assessments of toddler and preschool children’s cognitive and language development, as well as self-regulation
· Recruit research participants and obtain informed consent, for sites with a research component
· Translate project-related documents
· Transcribe and/or code videotapes (using micro-analytic coding techniques)
· Maintain databases and perform data entry
· Provide general support if needed related to project or research tasks such as grant preparation, Institutional Review Board, literature reviews, and documentation
· Assist with coordination and training of volunteers
· Collaboration with multidisciplinary team of research and clinical staff
· Fluency in both English and Spanish (Note – there may also be part-time opportunities for fluent speakers of other languages, in particular Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and Bengali)
· Bachelor’s Degree in child development, child life, infancy, special education, family processes, maternal and child health, or related field
· Previous experience working with children and parents in educational, hospital or mental health settings; previous research experience is preferred but not required
· Previous experience w/ databases; proficiency w/ Excel, SPSS, REDCap, or other similar programs
We work in the following locations (or have planned expansion underway):
- Manhattan (NYC H+H/Bellevue [Kips Bay]; NYC H+H/Gouverneur [Lower East Side]; Children’s Aid Society Milbank Health Services [Harlem; Mon & Wed 9-1pm only])
- Brooklyn (NYC H+H/Woodhull [Bushwick]; NYU Langone Brooklyn [Sunset Park])
- Queens (NYC Health+Hospitals/Elmhurst [Elmhurst])
Candidates will typically have a primary location assigned, but might also be split across more than one location. All candidates may be required to spend time at other local sites in NYC (especially NYC H+H/Bellevue) for training and/or program delivery, and there may be opportunities for involvement in other ongoing programmatic and/or research projects within the BELLE Project.
Full time positions at NYU Langone come with comprehensive benefits packages.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency is required. There may also be part-time opportunities for fluent speakers of other languages, in particular Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, and Bengali.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: If interested, please fill out an online Interest Form: https://is.gd/belleprojectapplication
If you have any questions or require additional assistance, please reach out to Yuliya Gurevich via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "BELLE Job Application" in the subject line.
A verbal 1- to 2-year commitment is required. Full time positions come with comprehensive benefits packages. Note that NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.