HEAF is a comprehensive educational enrichment and youth development organization that works to help motivated students develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values, and personal resilience they need to ensure success in school, career, and life. HEAF identifies students in middle school and supports them until they have successfully graduated from four-year colleges through a variety of after-school and summer educational and youth development programs.
Our High Expectations program works with middle school students (6th-8th grade), their families, and communities to provide academic classes and youth leadership enrichment through after-school and Saturday programs. High Expectations integrates experiential learning and academic enrichment that begins the students’ preparation for acceptance into New York City’s top public high schools and introduces them to college preparation. By familiarizing students with the benefits of higher education as early as the sixth grade, HEAF focuses on our participants’ long-term vision and offers them the tools, resources, and social-emotional support necessary to thrive in college and career.
Ready to join our team?
The Manhattan Program Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the daily operations of the middle school program and will report directly to the Manager of Manhattan High Expectations. We are looking for someone who puts our students first and prioritizes their needs and growth in everything they do. Ideal candidates thrive with many tasks going on at once and are ready to take on projects quickly and independently. The program coordinator should be a model of appropriate behavior for students at all times and be able to implement and enforce clear routines and expectations during classes and transitions. It is important that the coordinator build strong relationships with the partnered school staff and collaborate in a shared setting with teachers and school administrators. HEAF serves under-resourced students and a deep understanding and passion for the unique challenges of working in the education system is required. Spanish fluency is a strong plus.
Please note: we are currently offering virtual programming for all students. Our fall program starts on September 27th and our in-person elective class begins on October 4th. This position is an in-person role, with the possibility of virtual days built into the schedule.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Programming Planning and Management
● Coordinate daily program activities, including monitoring of students and space, and class/activity preparation and dismissal
● Assist with supervision of all part-time High Expectations Staff including teachers, teacher assistants, tutors, interns, and volunteers
● Delivery of instruction in absence of teachers
● Organizing, distributing and handling inventory of classroom materials
Student and Family Engagement
● Correspond with parents and students via email and phone regarding attendance, student behavior, academics, and upcoming events/opportunities
● Supervise students during meal times
● Address student behavior and support learning in the classroom
● Articulate organization mission and programmatic goals to parents and students
● Coordinate and support parent meetings as needed
Administrative & Data Management
● Manage program database on Salesforce
● Update and maintain all student records and files
● Monitor and track daily student attendance
● Monitor zoom classes
● Contact families about attendance and upcoming events
● Assist in event planning and outreach
● Organize mailing supplies to all students each semester
● Participate in meetings with staff throughout the week
● Minimum: an awarded Associates degree preferably in Liberal arts, Business Administration, Education
● Preferred: Awarded Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Education, Counseling, Public Administration, Higher Education, or similar (all majors considered)
● Goal-oriented and strong commitment to meeting goals
● Exceptional communication skills, interpersonal skills, and organization skills
● Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
● Flexibility - Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced and changing educational environment.
● Experience working in an after school environment or similar educational setting
● Computer skills: Microsoft Suite, Google platforms (Salesforce knowledge a plus)
Virtual School Year - Monday - Friday 11:00 am - 7:00 pm
On Site School Year - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday ** Subject to change with notice**
Summer Program - 8:00am - 4:00 pm
Location: 2090 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd, Suite 10, New York, Ny 10027
Hybrid for the 2021-2022 school year
Compensation: 36k- 40k annually
HEAF is a comprehensive educational enrichment and youth development organization that works to help motivated students develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values, and personal resilience they need to ensure…