Part Time Contract
Details: per month
PO Box 813
ABRACE seeks a candidate who is professional, flexible, dedicated, and energetic to build on the school’s existing programs and teams. The ideal candidate will provide leadership to ABRACE, working closely with the School Director, parents, teachers, and ABRACE’s Board of Directors. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and execution of ABRACE’s mission. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach.
ABRACE has been in operation since 2005 and has grown to approximately 120 children, ranging in age from 3 to 16 years old. The school is located (Saturday activities) at the McLean High School in McLean, Virginia.
This is a part-time position (estimated annual average of 100h/month) with great flexibility. However, work on Saturday mornings (when the school is operational) is expected on most Saturdays. This professional will work as independent contractor for 9 to 12 months, with the possibility of becoming a registered employee after that.
Payment will be discussed in person and shall be based in experience, but will range between U$2,500 and $3,000 per month.
Position Summary:Responsibilities include:
Board Governance: Work with the Board of Directors to fulfill the organization’s mission.
- Lead ABRACE in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Serve as the "face of the organization" and attend all ABRACE events, including but not limited to outreach, fundraising, and cultural events; and to ensure the consistent representation of any message for ABRACE at all levels.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions, including keeping the Board informed of internal organization matters, such as relevant staffing, funding and program success, challenges, and priorities.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising, and to increase the overall visibility of ABRACE throughout the D.C. metropolitan region.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develop sufficient resources to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of ABRACE, including submitting to the Board a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management, including operating within the approved budget to ensure maximum resource utilization, and maintaining the organization in a positive financial position.
- Manage ABRACE's budget and ensure that it is a financially viable, sustainable organization with the resources to meet current and projected program growth.
- Co-responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support ABRACE’s mission.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Work with the Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
- Lead the implementation of ABRACE’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of ABRACE’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Reach out to the community to present ABRACE, its vision and services through public presentations and by attending relevant business events, conferences, and gatherings.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various similar organizations throughout the country and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance ABRACE’s Mission.
Organization Operations. Oversee and implement appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the effective administration of ABRACE’s operations.
- Work with the School Director on the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Build a high-performing senior leadership team and play an active role in attracting, retaining, and developing a qualified staff.
- Support existing and/or establish new employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serve as ABRACE’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, the Brazilian government, and the general public.
- Ensure that ABRACE is in compliance with relevant state and federal laws, regulations and with standard accounting procedures.
- Implement strategic plans, based on data-driven analytics, projections, and financials.
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team, and work effectively under time and resource constraints.
To fulfill this role successfully, the candidate must possess the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- Native speaker of Brazilian Portuguese
- Bachelor’s degree
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Five or more years nonprofit management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both English and Brazilian Portuguese, including ability to listen effectively and communicate clearly
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational skills, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Ability to convey a vision of ABRACE’s strategic future to staff, Board of Directors, volunteers, and donors
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector and to ABRACE’s field
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate Board Members and other volunteers
- Ability to interface with and engage a wide range of stakeholders of different cultures
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
ABRACE is A 501(c)(3) organization A missão da ABRACE é preservar e promover ações de educação e a integração cultural e social da comunidade brasileira, para fortalecer sua identidade e efetiva atuação nos Estados Unidos.
This position offers great flexibility of hours and most of work can be done remotely.
This professional will find a strong atmosphere of camaraderie and of belonging to a community.
Level of Language Proficiency
The ideal candidate speaks and writes in Brazilian Portuguese fluently (native-like), as well as in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please, apply only if you are native-like fluent in Brazilian Portuguese, if you already live in the D.C. area and if you have authorization to work in the U.S.
Send resume, a letter of intent, and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the organization, please visit our website at www.abracebrasil.org.