1231 North Broad Street, 3rd Floor
Our organization is searching for a 12-month AmeriCorps*VISTA: Recruitment Project Leader at YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School to build capacity (behind the scenes rather than direct service to students) to our career program.
YouthBuild Philadelphia is a life-changing, two-year program for 18-20 year olds who previously dropped out of high school. During the first year of the program, students complete a competency-based high school diploma, vocational training (in childcare, construction, customer service, or healthcare) and serve as part-time AmeriCorps members. In the second year of the program, alumni receive support to pursue their postsecondary goals in college and careers. YouthBuild Philadelphia is an award winning, flagship program of the national YouthBuild movement and has been named a Top Workplace by the Philadelphia Inquirer for six consecutive years.
The Recruitment Project Leader will lead efforts in developing a year round communication strategy and develop recruitment partners. This includes gathering data on student location trends and looking for ways to build a presence in lacking locations. The VISTA will develop communication materials and partnerships around recruitment. The VISTA’s work will be instrumental in setting up partnerships and systems that will increase the school’s recruitment capacity and last beyond the member’s year of service to ensure that all young people who need our services are aware of the option. The VISTA will develop efficient systems for:
- Establishing recruitment partnerships: YouthBuild Philly is looking to develop partnerships with other organizations that work or have access to potential students in hopes that will share information on our school and support students in their enrollment.
- Tracking recruitment progress: Establish a system to evaluate recruitment progress and its connection to support processes currently in place. In additional, the VISTA will look at historical data to establish recruitment benchmarks.
- Tracking location-based recruitment data: Philadelphia’s high school dropout problem is not limited to only a few areas of the city. The VISTA will look for patterns from historical recruitment data to determine which areas need increased outreach.
Term and Qualifications for VISTA Members
Applicants for our full-time AmeriCorps/VISTA Member position must:
- Be a college graduate as of June 2018 who is—
- proficient with Excel
- detail-oriented, and
- passionate about serving at-risk populations
- Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status
- Be in a position to attend orientation July 30 – August 2, 2018
- Be in a position to offer full-time service for one year: August 6, 2018 – August 5,2019
- Be able to exhibit previous education, training, military, or work experience, and any other relevant skills or interests necessary to perform a specific VISTA assignment
- Be willing to live among and at the economic level of the low-income people served by the project and have a desire to provide needed community services to an under-served community
- Not listed in the National Sex Offender Registry database as convicted of a sex-related crime
- Applicants cannot be the subject of legal proceedings (civil or criminal) that may consume time needed for their assignments
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
1231 North Broad Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA 19122
* Excellence * Perseverance * Respect *
- a living allowance of $13,293 annually ($509 /biweekly pretax)
- an education award of approximately $5,815 upon successful completion of term of service
- loan forbearance w/ interest accrual payment (federal loans)
- child care coverage (if applicable)
- health benefits
This full-time AmeriCorps position is ideal for any candidate who is looking to gain experiences in any of the following areas: nonprofits, program design, research, data, postsecondary initiatives, career services, employer relations, college access programs, charter schools, and/or urban education. Regular hours for this position are weekdays from 8a.m. to 4p.m. with flexibility required for occasional night or weekend events/projects.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with the words "Recruitment VISTA” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.