130 East 59 Street
About the Organization:
UJA-Federation of New York is the largest local philanthropy in the world. For more than 100 years, we’ve brought New Yorkers together to solve some of the most pressing problems facing our community. Thanks to our network of hundreds of non-profits, we can leverage our expertise across any number of areas — including health and human services, arts and culture, and education — to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, respond to crises close to home and far away, and shape our Jewish future. Our reach extends from New York to Israel to nearly 70 other countries around the world, touching 4.5 million people each year.
The event planner works directly with UJA-Federation’s development staff on some 50 percent of all fundraising events that take outside of the 59th Street headquarters. He or she is responsible for the event-planning aspects of fundraising events, as well as coordinating special projects to enhance important organizational and departmental systems and procedures.
- Ensure staff compliance of all Conference & Banquet operating policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update all assigned computer files in departmental system.
- Coordinate special projects to enhance important systems and procedures.
- Update department information as necessary on the Intranet and in shared files.
- Manage event planning and logistics including extensive site research, site visits, venue and menu selection, comparative cost and pricing analyses, entertainment, and decor.
- Maintain quality relationships with existing vendors, and research new vendors who can provide more cost effective and creative services and that meet organizational standards.
- Provide timely, accurate, and comprehensive communication to all relevant parties and vendors during the event-planning process for the assigned event portfolio.
- Negotiate prices with selected vendors and present pricing to appropriate staff.
- Review event-related contracts with the legal department and prepare for director’s review and approval.
- Attend assigned off-site events (unless otherwise approved by the director) to serve as liaison between UJA staff and vendors, and to ensure that vendors comply with the terms of the events contracts.
- Review and comment on invoices pertaining to assigned events prior to the director’s approval.
- Maintain organized event files and prepare detailed post-event notes and summaries.
- Coordinate and attend designated high-profile events at internal conference center.
- Prepare reports on event costs.
- Other departmental projects as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree, with hotel or restaurant management degree preferred.
- Two to three years related work experience in event planning management and banquet management
- Proven customer-service skills and excellent oral and written communications skills
- Familiarity with major New York City event venues.
- Negotiation experience with hotel catering departments, caterers, and event-related vendors, with previous experience working in catering sales or operations in a hotel, restaurant, caterer, or food-service operation.
- Familiarity with kosher dietary laws is a plus.
- Strong administrative and time-management skills.
- Resourceful, ambitious, and proactive team player.
- Ability to work evening events and some weekends.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on multiple assignments.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet-research capabilities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Equal Opportunity Employment. Only qualified applicants will be contacted. Please submit your application directly to our job board at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/UNI1075UJAF