TNTP seeks a full-time Senior Developer for our Technology Services department. This position is based in a home office anywhere in the U.S. or from the TNTP central office in Brooklyn, NY, and is available immediately. The position is full-time and requires availability during Eastern time zone business hours. Travel for team and organizational meetings is required a few times a year.
Who We Are
TNTP is a national nonprofit founded by teachers that believes our nation’s public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today we’re a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality and achieve their goals for students. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTP’s Technology Services department works to create a sustainable organization that can meet its goals through the delivery of cost-effective and high quality services to over 350 staff in over 40 client sites and several thousand teachers and other users of our platforms. We work directly with our internal clients to provide exceptional customer service and manage vendors who provide technology support and maintenance services. We are constantly building enhancements and new systems to support the evolving business process of our internal clients as well as to address the business needs of a growing, virtually connected organization.
We have several technology platforms used by Teaching Fellows programs and TNTP Academy, PLUS leadership programs, the Fishman Prize, SEED sites and other internal and external programs to support the successful delivery of virtual and in-person trainings and to track the progress of program participants. Users include, but are not limited to: site staff, candidates (i.e. Fellows, Participants, Teachers, School Leaders, etc.), principals, and seasonal staff members.
What you’ll do
The Senior Developer will be responsible for playing a leadership role on our co-located Scrum team coding .NET 4.0 features for our web-based, homegrown Human Capital system: TeacherTrack 2. The Senior Developer will report to the Agile Team Lead. Some of the main responsibilities for this role include:
- Serving as a key member of the Technology Services Department’s leadership team
- Participate in the hiring, orientation, and training of new team members
- Mentor new and current Jr. Developer
- Act as a strong thought partner and leader in the discussion and estimation of new features
- Ongoing Systems Maintenance and Testing
- Facilitate code reviews and ensure that feature implementation strategies are consistent with best practices in coding
- Understand TNTP site practices to introduce additional efficiencies to TeacherTrack2
- Maintain and improve environment for developers, including testing and staging environments
- Technology Innovation
- Play a leadership role in new technologies and best practices to the Software Development team
- Present to Leadership Team on software development
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide on-call 24/7 support for production environment on a rotating basis
- Collaborate with Technology Services Department’s Operations team on infrastructure and environment decisions
What you bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change children’s lives through education. You’ll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Senior Developers to:
- Be a leader on our Technology Services department. You have a clear vision, passion and commitment to quality software development and can invest others in that vision including mentoring and training Jr. Developers to better test their own code and build more effective UIs.
- Multi-task effectively. Prioritizing tasks and switching gears easily comes naturally to you and you work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. You are self-disciplined and walk the fine line of speed and accuracy.
- Enjoy learning and sharing knowledge. You look for opportunities to educate users and staff. Learning new features and asking questions comes easily to you and the word “documentation” doesn’t scare you.
- Be a natural problem-solver. You can quickly identify challenges, analyze the root causes, and propose creative solutions. You are superb at identifying trends and seeing the forest for the trees, without losing sight of the needs of individual users.
- A strong grasp of Object Oriented Programming principles
- Strong C# coding skills and strong ASP.NET 4.0 experience (minimum 3 years and .NET 4.0 is a must)
- Experience with MongoDB or an enthusiasm for NoSQL solutions
- Experience with using object-relational mapping technologies such as nHibernate
- Strong critical thinking skills, including the ability to generate innovative ideas and solutions
- Experience managing and mentoring Jr. Developers
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a strong teamwork ethic
- A passion for new technologies and a vision for how they can be used to improve our work
- Commitment to delivering great software and releasing it quickly, efficiently and with increasing quality
- Enthusiasm for test-driven development and competence in unit testing
Additional, preferred qualifications include:
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development environment (strongly preferred)
- Experience with LINQ, Microsoft SQL Server (strongly preferred)
- Experience with Workday, developing Workday integrations or Workday Studio (strongly preferred)
- 5-7 years of work experience
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Experience with Silverlight, Workflow Foundation 4
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online.
It’s in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
Benefits and hiring process: http://tntp.org/join
Life at TNTP: http://tntp.org/about-tntp/our-people
Minimum Education Required