5400 North St. Louis Avenue
WTTW (Chicago PBS) and WFMT (classical music radio) are seeking a full-time Director of Communications. This fast-paced and outcomes-driven position is responsible for proactively planning and executing the organization’s aggressive promotion strategies for both media brands across platforms. Interested candidates should have at least 3 years of experience working at an agency and/or an in-house promotion/ communications department with a demonstrated track record in securing earned media in top tier media outlets. Candidates must have established media relationships in Chicago, and experience in developing earned and social media plans and crafting external communications.
· Develop and execute proactive and strategic external public relations and media placement plans to grow audience, brand recognition, loyalty, and awareness for WTTW and WFMT across TV, radio, digital, and social platforms.
· Research, write, and edit digital and print content, including but not limited to press releases, speeches/talking points, collateral materials, social media posts, briefs/background papers, etc.
· Pitch short and long-lead stories to the media, and secure frequent earned media placements.
· Cultivate strategic media relationships and work closely with key media influencers, reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to ensure WTTW and WFMT are top of mind in the market as creators of content and mission-driven community engagement services.
· Identify newsworthy trends and generate related story ideas to pitch to the media; assume direct responsibility for generating content needed for this work including media releases, preview and exclusive content, photos and video/audio assets, interviews, key messages, etc.
· Develop, maintain, and share regular reporting documentation for activities and outcomes, and create system for tracking and cataloging placements.
· Manage and enhance internal communications to ensure that staff are connected and informed.
· Work with marketing lead to develop and implement framework for securing media partnerships and trades.
· Help create and document policies and procedures for organizational media relations protocols.
· Assist in coordination of selected events and other assigned duties.
· Excellent persuasive written and oral communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to shape pitches and manage messaging in external media communications
· Experience creating visibility plans that integrate with and leverage organizational communications strategies
· Demonstrated success securing coverage and proven track record in traditional and non-traditional media placement; fluency on major social media channels
· Proven track record developing strong, positive relationships with targeted journalists/press and proven ability to develop new contacts and relationships
· Tactical understanding of social media platforms, and experience integrating varied communications channels into promotion strategy
· Ability to work independently, proactively, persistently, and in a fast-paced manner; ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
EXPERIENCE: 3 years publicity/media relations/communications experience required.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply directly on our website: https://interactive.wttw.com/about/employment