55 Exchange Place
The Saturday Academy Teaching Assistant (TA) Position offers math and ELA educators an opportunity to develop a strong foundation in research-based high-leverage instructional practice within a supportive and inspiring community of educators and motivated public high-school students.
Teaching Assistants push into classes to support students in whole- and small-group settings, as well as work with students one-on-one during Office Hours, which occur during students’ lunch hour. Teaching Assistants are paired with a Lead instructor in their subject area and learn from that instructor; there are also opportunities to facilitate whole-group instruction along with the Lead Instructor.
On days when instructors are absent, the Teaching Assistant is called on to teach the instructor’s load of classes, which enables Teaching Assistants the benefit of both small-group and individual support as well as whole-class teaching.
- Attendance & Punctuality—Commit to work on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read, annotate and review all lesson materials for your given subject on a given day (math or ELA).
- Push-In / Pull-Out—Push into veteran instructors’ classes to observe the lesson during the whole-group time and work with students in small groups or one-on-one during the independent work time. Occasionally pull out students for individualized instruction.
- Office Hours – Spend two hours working with students one-on-one during Office Hours.
- Substitute Teaching – If a last-minute absence occurs, you will cover for another instructor and teach their course load. On days where you take on another instructor’s class, you will not push in or run Office Hours.
- Feedback – Provide written feedback on at least five students per week OR write a weekly reflection of your student and instructor observations to be sent to the C&I staff.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Saturday Academy begins on Saturday, September 8th and ends on Saturday, December 15th. Classes meet approximately three Saturdays a month from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. The twelve dates for Fall 2018 are as follows: 9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15.
9:30-10:30 In-class Instructional Support
10:30-11:30 In-class Instructional Support
11:30-12:30 Office Hours
12:30-1:30 Office Hours
2:30-3:30 In-class Instructional Support
3:30-4:30 In-class Instructional Support
The ideal candidate:
- Is a passionate math or ELA educator
- Is looking to gain additional practice and professional development to develop their skillset
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Saturday Academy Teaching Assistants will be compensated at a $250 per diem rate (whether subbing or providing instructional support). This rate includes all preparation, meetings (including orientations), emails, written anecdotals or reflections, substitute teaching and general program support.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through our website: www.seoscholars.org/teach-with-us/
Please note that the deadline to apply is Friday, August 17th. Thank you!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V