Details: 17.50 per hour
8495 SE Monterey Ave.
The Salvation Army Cascade Divisional Headquarters
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Status: Full time 40 hours
The Salvation Army Mission Statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Education and Work Experience:
1. Education: High school diploma or GED.
2. Work/Professional Experience: A minimum of 1 year’s office, clerical, or administrative support.
3. Significant keyboarding and demonstrated use of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access as well as cloud based environments. Should also be comfortable with Adobe.
4. Working knowledge of accounting departments.
Scope of Position: To perform a wide variety of responsible and complex administrative, secretarial, and clerical duties for a department director; to coordinate and participate in office support functions in support of the department’s goals and objectives, and to provide information and assistance to The Salvation Army’s corps, centers, and supporters.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
Knowledge of standardized but moderately complex procedures and operations requiring training and experience. Skill to apply procedures or operate varied equipment for purposes of performing standard operations.
1. Required: Keyboard and 10-key at minimum speed of 60 wpm.
2. Preferred: Keyboard and 10-key at minimum speed of 75 wpm.
Responsibility: Moderate impact on programs and costs. Work is performed under immediate supervision with advice and assistance usually available. Matters dealt with are usually controlled by established procedures. Moderate support.
Supervision exercised: None
Organization: The ability to maintain strict deadlines and structured environment
Professionalism (not listed in priority order):
1. Must adhere to all Salvation Army policies and procedures.
2. Must maintain the integrity of confidential communications or activities.
3. Must maintain professional, courteous and cooperative manner with all Territorial Headquarters (THQ), Divisional Headquarters (DHQ) and “field” personnel and outside contacts and demonstrate respect and a positive attitude toward them at all time during the workday.
4. Must be a team player, take initiative and be flexible in assisting others and to the best of the employee’s ability, ensure accurate and timely work objectives.
5. Must be able to navigate a hierarchical authority line with respect for the authority it holds.
6. Must demonstrate dependability by arriving and leaving work on time, by taking the allotted time for lunch and breaks and by limiting personal business and socializing to break periods.
The ability to work in a distinctively Christian environment. The ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
I. Office Manager
1. Process all incoming mail.
2. Prepare hard copy correspondence as needed.
3. Responsible for distribution and filing materials.
4. Shred documents as requested.
5. Xerox “Key Operator” for the Admin Copier.
1. Prepare “power of attorney” for the master account when officer/employees change.
C. Command Finance Council (CFC)
1. Prepare agenda and minutes and send to all CFC members as required.
2. Process all correspondence related to the CFC as directed using the automated Lotus software meeting management system.
3. Save CFC Minutes for auditors.
D. Officer & Employee Mileage
1. Receive, track and monitor reports for mileage.
2. Input all information received into Excel spreadsheets for final preparation by the Divisional Finance Director (DFD)/Divisional Secretary (DS) or their designate.
3. Provide reminder notes for information not received.
4. Maintain active and archived files and records in accord with the Records Retention Schedule
5. Make sure driving tests are current, set up drivers in OTIS, do the MVR and file.
E. Provide whatever assistance is necessary to ensure the orderly flow of correspondence and business matters in the office of the Divisional Finance Director.
F. New Vendor/Customer Records
1. Keep current credit references for new credit applications by vendors.
2. Assist AP clerks by entering new vendor information into Shelby accounting system.
A. Vehicle Procedures
1. Responses to all matters related to vehicle insurance claims and forward them to the appropriate authority.
2. Work with all corps and DHQ departments to ensure proper notification and reporting of insurance claims, and accurate processing and updating of vehicle insurance for the divisional fleet.
3. Work with the DFD to see that all addition and deletion forms are completed and processed.
4. Make sure all who drive TSA vehicles are current with test and process their MVR to meet insurance/audit requirements.
5. Responsible for maintaining vehicle records.
6. Maintain the vehicle database.
7. Maintain the vehicle title file.
8. Work with THQ to renew the Oregon State Dealer’s License every 3 years.
A. Backup for processing contracts when needed.
1. All contracts must be reviewed by the Divisional Admin Assistant, who writes a memo and presents it for CFC approval.
2. The contract is then scanned and saved so it can be attached to the CFC agenda item.
3. Once CFC approves/recommends the contract, it needs to be uploaded to the THQ Contract Database. THQ will then take it to their Board and after it is signed they will upload the signed and approved contract to the database.
4. Once THQ has approved the contract, the signed papers need to be printed and the completed contract needs to be scanned and saved in the ‘O’ drive, Program contracts, and the hard copy goes to the City Metro Accountant for filing.
1. Personal Computer
2. Networked PC’s and printers
3. FAX - use email to fax…Fax # @egoldfax.com
4. Photo Copier/Scanner
5. 10-Key Adding Machine
Hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. This includes time for 1 hour lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 pm. Two breaks of 15 minutes are taken during the day. Additional hours of work will be handled in accordance with Oregon Wage and Hour Laws.
Must be able to comprehend assignments and/or ask for additional information or clarification until the assignment is understood.
May require long periods of sitting at a desk using a personal computer and telephone. Able to walk, sit, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis. Must occasionally lift and move up to 25, usually file boxes.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, hand, or feel objects, tools, or controls; to talk or hear; reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
Works on many projects at once with interruptions and noise from ringing telephones, printers, copiers, and walk-in traffic, multiple deadlines, and competing priorities. Frequent phone and in-person contact with people from diverse backgrounds who may be angry, hostile, confused, or frustrated.
Organizes projects, sets priorities, calculates, catalogues, inspects, analyzes, plans, comprehends, and cooperates with others, etc.
Work with minimum supervision and work involves a high degree of independence. May be required to make independent decisions that may involve unique or unusual situations and/or complex issues and dealing with demanding requests and/or timelines.
May travel overnight or out-of-state.
Regular and punctual attendance are essential functions of this position.
This position has access to confidential and private information. It is essential that confidentiality and privacy be observed.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to pass a criminal history information check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction(s) will be considered.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result
In any position with The Salvation Army, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. This is the case with this position. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Salvation Army services.
The Salvation Army reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Its facilities and vehicles provide a smoke and drug free work environment for all employees and volunteers.
Supervisor: Divisional Finance Director (DFD)
Level of Language Proficiency
• Posted Wage: $17.50 per hour
• Full time hours
• Excellent medical benefits
• Life Insurance
• Disability Insurance
• Retirement plan
• Paid holidays
• Paid sick leave
• Paid vacation leave
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Location: Cascade Divisional Headquarters
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time (40 hours)
Posted Wage: $17.50
JOB CLOSES: 3.20.18
To apply online:
Please upload cover letter, resume and complete the job application provided. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note: Cover letter, resume and complete job application are required. Cover letter, resume and completed job application are required to complete the application process. Please be aware a job application is not considered complete unless it is dated and signed by the applicant. Incomplete job applications cannot be accepted.
To apply in person go to The Salvation Army, Cascade Divisional Headquarters, 8495 SE Monterey, Happy Valley OR 97086. Please bring resume, cover letter and complete the application provided to you. Incomplete job applications cannot be accepted.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, such as the modification or adjustment of the job application process or interviewing process due to a disability, please call 503.794.3206 or email Denise.Gende@usw.salvationarmy.org. Ms. Gende will coordinate your accommodation request with personnel at the local address specified in paragraph two above.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Mary Scott at Mary.Scott@usw.salvationarmy.org or call 503.794.3200. Ms. Scott is the sole point of contact for questions about this position.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer-
EOE of Females/Minorities/Vets/Disability