UI/UX Designer for Educational Products
- Job posted by Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
51 Vista Lane
The UI/UX Designer for Educational Products is a member of the Analytics and Collaborative Technology (ACT) and Educative Communications Groups. ACT is a specialized technical group that provides Foundation-wide support for a variety of analytical and technology tasks, including the conceptualization, prototyping, design, and implementation of various web applications, software, mobile applications, and collaborative tools. The technology team relies heavily on the principles of Improvement Science and Design-based Engineering and Development Thinking to guide its work. The Educative Communications group helps catalyze, support, and make visible the work of the Foundation. The UI/UX Designer is an integral member of these Groups. They collaborate with internal staff and external partners to create user-centered, intuitive, and innovative educational products, such as mobile applications and style guides as well as educative communications.
- Define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visual representations, and user experience.
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to developers or production staff.
- Conceptualize solutions that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design challenges. Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and sitemaps to effectively communicate interaction and related design ideas.
- Present designs and key milestone deliverables to Foundation teams and external stakeholders. Conduct user research and evaluate and act upon user feedback.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards.
- Create graphics and visual images for use by the Foundation in print and on digital platforms.
- Collaborate with the Educative Communications Group on design assignments from concept to completion.
- Provide design support and advice to groups throughout the Foundation; help maintain a consistent look and feel of content and products.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in studio design, fine arts, graphic arts, or a related field.
- Experience with and commitment to utilizing improvement and design tools and methods.
- Experience designing for a variety of audiences on various media platforms (print, digital).
SKILL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to solicit and interpret information from constituents of a wide range of sophistication and use that information to guide the design and production of appropriate interfaces, representations of complex ideas, and educative materials.
- Ability to work independently and self-manage toward goals, while also being willing and able to work closely and effectively with others. Dependable and able to determine and ask the necessary questions to follow through on a given assignment in an effective and timely manner.
- Ability to rapidly produce and prototype UX/UI concepts and effectively communicate through wireframes and mockups.
- Strong visual design skills and sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), Invision, or advanced design tools to produce high fidelity physical and digital products.
- Must have the ability to multi-task effectively and efficiently as well as meet multiple deadlines in a calm, courteous, and professional manner.
- High level of comfort communicating and receiving feedback from all levels of the organization and in groups of both internal and external constituents.
- Ability to think critically and synthesize complex information from multiple sources.
- Desire to be part of, and ability to contribute to, a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to create high-quality work within short timeframes.
- Full medical, dental, vision, life, accidental death, disability, and long term care insurance, as well as employer subsidized flexible spending plans
- A retirement savings plan, including employer contributions and the opportunity for your own tax-advantaged savings
- Generous time-off benefits including 15 paid holidays and up to 6 weeks paid parental leave
- Matching Gift program to benefit charitable organizations and Educational Assistance to further your professional development
THE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The Foundation offers a collaborative, community-building atmosphere grounded in an environment of mutual respect.
- The facility is located in Stanford, California in a quiet pastoral setting near a hiking trail.
- Amenities include a communal kitchen (coffee, tea, and drinks provided), weekly catered lunches, and outdoor eating/gathering areas.
- We also offer on-site yoga classes, free parking, and electric car charging stations.
Minimum Education Required