Details: $20.00/hour + $1.00/hour bilingual premium if applicable
832 Folsom Street
One in 25 children in San Francisco’s schools are experiencing homelessness. Are you passionate about advancing innovative solutions that will end family homelessness by 2020?
If so, we could use your talents as a Housing Stability Specialist at Hamilton Families!
Hamilton Families (HF) is dedicated to ending family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area by 2020. HF’s rapid re-housing program helps families find and move into market-rate housing in the Bay Area. We do this through housing search assistance, move-in financial assistance, a medium-term rental subsidy, and home-based case management to help families move toward self-sufficiency. Working collaboratively with the City, the San Francisco Unified School District, and key partners, Hamilton is scaling up this program to assist 800 families with children.
As a Housing Stability Specialist, you will do the critical work of helping these families root themselves in their new communities and maintain long-term housing. Use your skills as a listener, coach, advocate, and supporter to make a real difference.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a listener: Work with approximately 18-20 participants in the program to assess their stability needs. Understand their barriers to recommend proper resources and referrals.
- Be a coach: Build trusting relationships with participants and coach them on maintaining long-term housing, accessing job and educational training, and connecting with local community resources.
- Be an advocate: Coordinate with colleagues on the landlord liaison team to maintain positive relationships with landlords and property management companies who rent to our participants.
- Be a problem-solver: Assist participants in contacting and connecting with resources in the community. Complete paperwork with participants to ensure they are on track to succeed in the program. Work with the participants to find creative solutions to barriers around challenges related to transportation, childcare, disabilities and more.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- You must share our commitment to ending family homelessness in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- We value people who are resilient, flexible, and creative. You should be open to creating and joining a culture of feedback and learning, and be able to meet multiple deadlines and priorities with a positive attitude and problem-solving approach.
- You should have a BA from an accredited college or university (social work, psychology, or related field preferred) and 1 year of experience in a relevant profession OR a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in housing or social services.
- You should be excited about working on diverse teams and collaborating with colleagues and participants from many different backgrounds.
- You need a CA driver’s license and must be willing to travel throughout the Bay Area (the vehicle and insurance are provided by HF).
- Even better if you have experience working with extremely low-income families, youth, survivors of domestic violence, populations impacted by substance abuse, mental illness, and HIV/AIDS, and/or other diverse communities. Knowledge of community resources for families with very low incomes in the Bay Area is a big plus!
Why choose Hamilton Families?
Great benefits: We offer excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. Employees also have the chance to earn up to $180 per calendar year for participating in various wellness activities and can participate in partnership discounts with various YMCA locations. Additionally, HF offers tax deductible commuter benefits that can be applied to public transit, parking, bicycle maintenance, and ride sharing services like Uber pool.
Growth and leadership opportunities: The work at HF is designed for individuals to follow their passions and commitment to community. HF takes professional development seriously and offers coaching and training opportunities at every level. A role with the Navigation team is great for an individual who is interested in exploring real estate, affordable housing, social work, and/or mental health fields. We also offer a $1,000 educational stipend to employees each year and offer dozens of internal and external trainings for staff at every level annually.
Time off: HF employees take advantage of generous sick and vacation benefits including 11 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and 2 weeks of sick time per year.
Long term benefits: HF offers an employer-matched 403(b) retirement plan, education reimbursement, and other great long term benefits!
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual proficiency in English/Spanish required for some positions, as demonstrated through agency proficiency exam.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Use the link above to visit our ADP Job Center and submit an application.
- Please attach your résumé and a letter of interest.
- No faxes or phone calls.
- Hamilton Families is an Equal Opportunity Employer.