Amber Charter Schools provide our students with an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, which will enable them to prosper in their future endeavors.
Amber Charter School East Harlem was founded in 2000 as the first Latino-led charter school in New York State. It currently serves 500 K-5 students. Amber Charter School Kingsbridge opened in 2016 and serves 440 K-5 students. Amber Charter School Inwood will open in 2021, and grow to serve 923 K-8 students. By 2025, the ACS network will serve just under 2000 students across three NYC neighborhoods.
Join a team devoted to positively impacting the lives of children and families every day. Come help build lifelong learners.
Director of Operations
Oversee Operational Systems
- Ensure effective and efficient operational systems are in place, communicated and understood, and practiced consistently to best support teaching and learning.
- Manage, support and develop all school operations team members, including a building manager, operations associates and security personnel.
- Closely coordinate with the SST communications team on all student recruitment and enrollment efforts, including open houses, annual lottery, waitlist, orientation and registration.
- Plan and coordinate all necessary protocols and logistics for daily operations, such as arrival, transitions and dismissal, as well as school events and activities, including, but not limited to after school and special programs, field trips, and assemblies.
- Manage and monitor student information platforms [e.g. PowerSchool, ATS (Automate the Schools)] to track enrollment, attendance, etc. and support/partner with communications and data staff as needed.
- Manage and monitor family communication platforms (e.g. ParentSquare, email) to ensure parents/guardians are well-informed and receive timely support and guidance.
- Contribute to the onboarding of new staff members (e.g. time clock, technology, work space and materials).
Manage Finances, Purchasing and Contracted Services:
- Oversee the school’s non-instructional budget and finances
- Conduct school-based purchasing, in alignment with the network fiscal and procurement policy and procedures.
- Oversee the purchasing and maintenance of technology equipment and implementation of technology training, in close coordination with network operations SST staff (e.g. Technology Manager, Director of Network Operations, Chief Administration and Operations Officer).
- Assist with managing all financial audits and oversee the preparation of financial reports, in partnership with the principal and network finance team.
- Seek, vet, propose contracted vendors to provide critical services, including but not limited to, food service, nurse, transportation, security and janitorial. Monitor and assess service delivery to ensure high quality and effectiveness.
Ensure Health, Safety and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with the federal school meals program.
- Coordinate with the Building Manager to ensure compliance with local, state and federal regulations and inspections (e.g. FDNY, Department of Environmental Protection, etc.) and maintain all documentation and certifications.
- Implement required fire and safety drills in collaboration with the Building Manager, and maintain documentation for and compliance with fire egress plans and fire drills.
- Work collaboratively with the Building Manager and school safety/operations staff to coordinate emergency responses.
- Collect and coordinate all NYSED data, including but not limited to, BEDS reporting and others.
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as an effective director of operations, preferably in a school.
- Use of student information systems to report, track and monitor enrollment, attendance and ensure compliance and funding (e.g. ATS, PowerSchool).
- Proficiency utilizing financial tracking systems.
- Familiarity with purchasing, procuring and inventorying a broad range of materials and resources.
- Assessing, vetting and engaging a variety of vendors (cleaning, food services, etc.).
- Comfort utilizing technology to communicate, track and organize work and information (e.g. Google Suite, documents, spreadsheets).
- Great time and task management; an ability to prioritize, manage multiple obligations and initiatives and follow through.
- Strong systems-thinker, a capacity to envision, plan, and implement new/revised protocols and practices that streamline or improve school operations functions.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as on a team and to take direction as needed.
- Strong attention to detail; able to develop and maintain organizational and documentation systems.
- Strong analysis, negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- A deep sense of ownership and responsibility.
- The ability and commitment to lead and inspire a team that will ensure the health, safety and learning of all students and staff.
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Demonstrated agility communicating with a range of stakeholders (e.g. staff, parents & caregivers, students, vendors).
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to preserving a bold, can-do culture that sustains the organization’s core values.
- Collaborative decision-making style, with a proven track record of working effectively with individuals at all levels to drive decision-making and results.
- Commitment to leveraging the existing strengths and supporting the continuous evolution of our communities, students, families and staff members.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters degree preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish, speaking and in writing, strongly preferred.