160 American Legion Highway
SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER - 2018-2019 (BROOKE K-8)
at Brooke Charter Schools (View all jobs)
Background on Brooke
Founded in 2002, Brooke Charter Schools is a network of college preparatory public schools with five campuses in Boston. Brooke currently serves 1,730 students in grades K-10 and will grow to serve 2,200 students in grades K-12 by 2022.
Named after the late Senator Edward W. Brooke, the first African-American popularly elected to the U.S. Senate, our strategy is to focus relentlessly on developing excellent teaching. Reflecting the diversity of the communities we serve in Boston and Chelsea, 56% of Brooke students self-identify as Black, 34% as Latino, 6% Caucasian, 2% Asian, and 2% Native American or multiracial. About three-quarters of Brooke students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Over the last several years, Brooke students have set a new bar for what is possible in urban public education, consistently outperforming their peers in Boston Public Schools, and producing academic achievement results among the highest in the state.
- Teach daily support classes in math, science, life skills, and/or literacy
- Oversee the drafting, implementation, and maintenance of IEPs and 504 plans
- Co-lead child study team meetings
- Coordinate special education screenings, referrals and evaluations.
- Coordinate related services
- Confer and collaborate with teachers to ensure that accommodations are met in inclusive settings
- Develop intervention plans with classroom teachers to ensure that student learning goals are clear and measurable and then track student success in meeting these goals
- Coordinate all standardized test accommodations
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Special Education or a Special Education teaching license
- Working knowledge of state and federal Special Education laws
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students
- Shared dedication to the Brooke School philosophy and mission
- Good problem solving abilities and creativity
- Excellent teamwork, communication, and organization skills
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world we live in.
Minimum Education Required