9000 Richmond Highway
Special Events Assistant supports the Woodlawn weddings and receptions and other museum events to ensure high quality customer service and flawless execution of events at the site.
This is a part time, hourly position. Weddings are generally held on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from April through November, with different shifts that range from 2pm to midnight. Other events occur throughout the year on a variable schedule.
- Acts as a representative for Woodlawn & Pope-Leighey House historic site, providing a positive experience for all guests and ensuring that our historic houses are properly monitored during all weddings and events.
- Working from a check list, ensures that Woodlawn & Pope-Leighey House
- is ready to receive guests at the start of each celebration or event and ensures that the property has been left clean and in good repair after the event concludes.
- Actively monitors and works with vendors throughout each event. Checks key vendors in and provides access to service areas as needed; monitors museum and site event staff and performance to ensure excellent customer service throughout the event; helps greet and direct guests, works with the caterer, planner, and other vendors as appropriate to help monitor program flow and schedule of events; troubleshoots any issue that might arise.
- Protects museum and its property by ensuring strict adherence to site policies and procedures. Assists in monitoring security (buildings, grounds) and ensuring visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor or other appropriate staff of incidents or unsafe conditions.
- Provides exceptional customer service to all site visitors and event guests and interacts positively and professionally with site colleagues. Displays professional and customer-oriented demeanor at all times while upholding the National Trust’s values plus the museum’s event guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to commit in advance to a full shift 2 pm to midnight or a half shift 4 pm to 7 pm mostly on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Experience in wedding coordination, special events or other aspects of the hospitality field preferred, including customer service experience and experience dealing with clients, vendors and guests in high-end social settings.
- Previous experience in a museum or historic or cultural setting a plus.
- Effective and engaging interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to speak and read English fluently.
- Basic problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including culturally diverse audiences, patrons and guests.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to stand or be active for periods up to 10 hours; walk over uneven terrain; climb stairs.
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in hospitality- or site-related fields a plus.
Minimum Education Required