3641 Faculty Boulevard
Operation Smile has provided hundreds of thousands of safe surgeries for those born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. With more than three decades of expertise, Operation Smile creates solutions that deliver free surgery to people where it’s needed most. As one of the largest medical volunteer-based nonprofits, Operation Smile has mobilized thousands of medical volunteers from a wide range of medical specialties from more than 80 countries. Operation Smile engages public-private partnerships to advance health care delivery, train local medical professionals to provide surgical care for patients in their communities, donate crucial medical equipment and supplies, and increase access to surgical care so that everyone living with cleft is treated. Visit www.operationsmile.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
All interested applicants should apply online at http://www.operationsmile.org/about-us/careers
Program Coordinator Job Description –International Programs and Education teams.
Operation Smile, headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is an international medical charity whose global network of thousands of credentialed medical volunteers from over 80 countries have provided surgery for hundreds of thousands of children around the world.
The organization is currently seeking to hire 5-7 Program Coordinators to add to its International Programs and Education Team based in Virginia Beach, VA.
The Program Coordinator (PC) is the key agent managing and coordinating logistics for medical and educational program activities in specified countries.
The Program Coordinator position is located in Virginia Beach at our global headquarters. PCs travel approximately 50% of the year and must be ready to travel last minute if needed. The Program Coordinator will be responsible for the planning, execution, support, and follow-up of Operation Smile’s programs around the globe, in conjunction with staff at headquarters and in our program foundations. This requires work both in the office and on the ground during projects and balancing several projects at once in both environments.
This position is also responsible for developing positive working relationships with Operation Smile, Inc. staff as well as Operation Smile in-country staff. While the PC is part of the International Programs or Education Department, he/she will frequently communicate and coordinate with other departments on projects or initiatives.
The PC will receive well-rounded training so that overall knowledge of the organization is deep and well-rooted.
- The Program Coordinator is responsible for all logistics associated with planning, executing and wrapping up our medical and education programs, including administrative- and logistical-intensive tasks: fact finding, booking air travel, building teams of credentialed volunteers, arranging meals, lodging and local transportation, medical supplies and services, securing temporary medical licensure, applying for visas, completing reports, working with other departments to ensure all aspects of the mission are covered, etc. This applies to medical and education programs that the PC may support but not attend on-site.
- Training Programs
- Collaborate with local foundations and regional staff to identify and address volunteer training needs.
- Coordinate the development of training content among medical professionals and volunteers to meet the educational needs of volunteers.
- Support local foundations and programs team in logistics planning including volunteer recruitment, air travel, food and lodging, local transportation, temporary medical licensure, and cargo requirements appropriate for training program.
- Execute training programs in country, including education missions, Life Support training programs, specialty-specific training courses, and conferences.
- Engage with other program coordinators, volunteer management, medical oversight, logistics and material management, research and regional program teams to create and execute educational material that adds value to the volunteers’ experience.
- Medical Programs
- The PC will work closely with in-country team members and other International Programs staff on patient registration strategies and other initiatives to meet broader country objectives.
- Ensure logistics are in place for the post-operative program. Collect all materials once completed and submit to the Metrics and Strategic Initiatives Department.
- Help maintain accurate inventory of in-country medical supplies and equipment, working with the Logistics and Material Management Department, in-country staff, and Medical Oversight Department as needed.
- Advocate for and ensure adherence to Global Standards of Care and associated policies and procedures as they relate to patient and volunteer safety with the support of in-country Medical Directors, Regional Medical Officers, the Quality Assurance Department, and the rest of the Medical Oversight Department.
- In-office Support of Ongoing Programs
- The PC must practice prudent business operational oversight, being mindful of the program and education budget and making fiscally conservative decisions while ensuring patient and volunteer safety and overall program success. This includes preparation and completion of respective programmatic and/or financial reports in a timely, accurate manner that is congruent with established planning protocols.
- Maintain seamless communication with the International Programs, Education, and Volunteer Management team, and serve as the out-of-office contact for other members of the team.
- Ensure proper credentialing status of volunteers prior to confirming and placing them on programs.
- Provide program information to volunteers as needed/requested in a timely manner.
- Work with the in-country staff, Desk Officers, Program Officers, VET and Medical Oversight to strengthen and develop the medical volunteer base and identify potential medical leaders.
- Correspond with the Clinical Data Coordinator to obtain Medical Records and Electronic Medical Records volunteers and materials for upcoming programs.
- Work with Development, Student Programs, and other departments when Guest Participants, students or other auxiliary personnel are to attend a medical or education program.
- Participate and/or provide support for special events such as team retreats, social events or conferences as needed.
- Serve on program-related task forces.
- Set up conference calls as needed.
- Coordinate/complete other departmental projects as needed/requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Non-profit Management, Public Health, Anthropology, International Relations, Foreign Language or a related field.
- International program / project / travel experience and or demonstrable experience in global health
- Volunteer/service experience.
- Work experience in an international NGO or non-profit context preferred.
Additional Skills Requirements:
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills required.
- Second language proficiency is desirable, but not required. We are in specific need of French-, Spanish- and Mandarin- speaking candidates.
- Excellent leadership, mentorship, management, and interpersonal/social skills required.
- Self-starter abilities, demonstrate innovative and collaborative efforts when confronted with challenges or new tasks.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to a rapidly evolving work environment.
- Must have multi-cultural understanding and sensitivity and be able to communicate effectively in such an environment, inclusive of receiving feedback regarding one’s own performance.
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills and be able to prioritize requests efficiently and effectively.
- Must be able to problem solve and communicate needs appropriately in high pressure situations.
- Must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Must be a highly motivated, driven, and committed individual with self-awareness.
- Ability to work off hours (on-call), sometimes responding to calls or e-mails early in the morning, late at night or on weekends.
Interested applicants should apply online at http://www.operationsmile.org/about-us/careers. Operation Smile offers a comprehensive employee benefits package. EOE.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in oral and written Spanish, French or Mandarin would be desirable.
Minimum Education Required