30 Clipper Road
ABOUT CRADLES TO CRAYONS:
Cradles to Crayons (C2C) was founded in 2002, with the mission of providing children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive - at home, at school and at play. C2C is at the cutting edge of volunteer management, and through its “Giving Factory” provides unique, hands-on opportunities for people to help other people. Headquartered in Boston, MA, C2C opened in Philadelphia in 2007 and in Chicago in 2016.
How Our Model Works: Cradles to Crayons collects new and nearly new children's items through grassroots community drives and corporate donations. Donations are then processed and packaged by volunteers, and are distributed to disadvantaged children through a collaborative network of social service agencies and school partners. C2C supplies these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities that have with communities that need.
Cradles to Crayons meets a critical need as many children 12 years old and younger live in low-income and/or homeless situations. These living conditions can have negative effects on self-esteem as poverty can lead to increased social and emotional behavioral challenges; it impacts early education since half of children living in poverty start 1st grade up to 2 years developmentally behind their peers; and safety may be compromised as children living in poverty have increased risk of injury.
While meeting the immediate needs of low-income children, Cradles to Crayons also sets a foundation for lasting change by providing meaningful, tangible volunteer opportunities to thousands of individuals and families and hundreds of corporations each year by organizing clothing collections, hosting fundraisers, or working in the "Giving Factory" warehouse.
Cradles to Crayons earned the highest possible rating from Charity Navigator for several consecutive years. Only 2% of charities rated have received this distinction, differentiating C2C from its peers, exemplifying the high standard of service at C2C, and indicating that C2C outperforms most other charities in America.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Philadelphia Site, the Associate Director of Operations is a results oriented leader who brings a balance of operational excellence, a strong management capability, superior relationship building skills and a can-do attitude. The Associate Director of Operations is a member of the Market Leadership Team, working creatively and collaboratively with colleagues to meet organizational goals. S/he will be responsible for the complete operation of the warehouse and off-site locations, providing direction to both Cradles to Crayons team members, as well as thousands of volunteers. The ideal candidate will have to demonstrate the ability to work in an environment requiring creative utilization of volunteers, limited infrastructure and unpredictability in the daily workforce.
In conjunction with ED and Senior Director of Development the position is accountable for the strategic development, planning, preparation and performance of the facility, its processes, team members and volunteers. The Associate Director of Operations will ensure every order is selected, packed and ready on time, as well as ensuring a high quality and engaging volunteer experience. The Associate Director of Operations manages the acquisition of new, gently used and purchased product to fulfill the annual product needs and goals. The attributes of a mentor or teacher who can develop and build a highly professional organization into a performance-oriented team are a plus. Exceptionally strong communication skills, drive, high energy level and problem-solving abilities will be critical for the success of this individual.
- Model and lead a positive “One Cradles” culture, underpinned by Cradles’ Cultural Values and related behaviors.
- Strategically direct and oversee all facets of the warehouse operation to ensure products get properly picked, packaged and ready for customers when promised.
- Continuously develop and evaluate operational policies and procedures in conjunction with Operations leadership across the C2C network to ensure the most efficient and effective processing of product; as well as control of damages, errors and mis-picks.
- Standardize and improve inventory and safety processes/procedures in conjunction with Operations leadership across the C2C network.
- Plan, direct and manage the build out and prepping of a new warehouse for Philadelphia by March 2019 to maximize operational efficiency and minimize waste.
- Direct and manage the move of Philadelphia Operations to its new warehouse.
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and VP of Finance, create and manage the budgets for the warehouse move and ongoing operations and research and assess capital needs, equipment and specifications.
- Ensure that team members are trained on safe work practices and that those work practices are followed to support a safe work environment.
- Oversee logistics operations, including coordination of off-site warehouse storage space and transportation of product-optimizing resources to reduce cost.
- In coordination with Director of IT, plan, implement and oversee IT solutions for order and inventory management.
- Through supervision of the Partner Relations Associate, develop, maintain and monitor partner relationships and ensure optimal relationships are maintained.
- Supervise the Manager of Community Engagement to develop the plan for strategic acquisition of product from all community partners to fulfil our KidPack, backpack and specialty item goals.
- Supervise the Manager of Community Engagement to develop corporate engagement relationships in conjunction with the Senior Director of Development to realize new and gently-used product collection goals.
- Direct and manage product acquisition strategies and coordinate with the Development Team, when required, for purchases and donations of new, and gently-used product.
- In conjunction with Community Engagement and Development plan, direct and manage the signature events in the region: MLK Day, Metroplex Day, Backpack-A-Thon and Un-Gala.
- Partner closely with Development team to meet organizational goals and service levels.
- Ensure clear communication and effective collaboration is a priority within Cradles to Crayons - Philadelphia to aid in the accomplishment of departmental and cross-site, one Cradles, organizational objectives.
- Encourage professional development of team members by leading appropriate training, coaching and mentoring.
- Through supervision of the Manager of Organizational Initiatives and Planning, ensure coordination, development and training of volunteers.
- Supervises the Manager of Organizational Planning & Initiatives who oversees preparation and staffing execution of the operations portions of C2C Philadelphia events on and off-site
- Analyze projected demand and plan for adequate workforce (both paid staff and volunteer).
- Through supervision of the Production and Planning Supervisor, oversees the smooth and safe functioning of the wareshouse.
- For Philadelphia Operations, oversees operational benchmarks and data tracking systems to ensure progress is aligned to goals.
- Supports the ED in innovation of both strategy and process by identifying key findings that can inform long-term program planning and development.
- Hire direct reports and oversee the hiring, training and development of all operations team staff members by working with his/her managers and supervisors
- Co-ordinates and maintains excellent relationships with township and local regulatory bodies in conjunction with Executive Director.
· Coordinates with nationally selected vendors and negotiates local service based contracts with outside businesses to support the warehouse functions.
· Understands general resources required to maintain federal, state and local OSHA requirements and other functions of the operation requiring formal certification.
· In the absence of the Executive Director and Director of Development, acts as spokesperson for Cradles to Crayons.
· Coordinates with ED to communicate all organization-wide changes and closings to Philadelphia site.
· Strong warehouse/materials handling and supply chain experience
· Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with other market Cradles to Crayons staff members, the Market Leadership Team, Advisory Board and stakeholders.
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong leadership and management skills.
· Experience with CRM systems to track and report on results.
· Works evenings and weekends where required.
DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH:
Diversity and Inclusiveness are core values at Cradles to Crayons, and we continuously strive to be a team where everyone feels welcome and supported. It is the policy of Cradles to Crayons to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information and/or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a warehouse environment and normal changes in temperature are to be expected while working inside the warehouse or outside, on or around the loading dock. There are no hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions, including lifting and hauling requirements to move product around the warehouse
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made by Cradles to Crayons which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others, or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Please send a cover letter and resume with relevant experience to https://www.cradlestocrayons.org/what-we-do/careers/
Minimum Education Required