40 West 20th Street
he Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
Natural Resources Defense Council is seeking an experienced full-time Video Editor to join its multimedia team in New York City. The successful candidate will be responsible for editing a wide range of original content from ten-second animated GIFs to ten-minute documentaries on a variety of environmental topics. The video editor must be able to research and assemble footage into rough, fine and final cuts, increasing the quality of the video by adding music, dialogue, text and graphics. The video editor must be able to implement feedback from the producer, senior leadership, and project stakeholders to deliver a final product that is of the highest professional quality and within brand guidelines of NRDC.
Knowledge of NRDC’s core missions is a priority and the successful candidate must have a broad knowledge and curiosity about environmental justice. The multimedia team supports all sections of the organization by producing compelling visual content daily to advance NRDC’s mission to safeguard the Earth, its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends.
This is a hands-on position for a versatile professional who is eager to take on a variety of challenges. The position isn’t limited to just video editing and the successful candidate could be involved in shooting assets for video productions, editing audio for podcasts, and art directing animation. The ability to solve problems independently in a fast-paced environment is a must.
This editorial communications position reports directly to the Multimedia Managing Editor of Video.
- Edit long and short form content from mini documentaries to text-on-video social cuts utilizing Adobe Creative Cloud
- Build and maintain video templates and efficient workflows to optimize video production
- Research, source, and license video and photo content to be used as b-roll from stock agencies, wire services and private individuals
- Organize projects, video files, and metadata into a data asset management system
- Execute expert level post-production, including video and audio color correction and format conversion
- Record optimal voiceover tracks for video
- Collaborate with producers, writers, and editors on the content creation process from ideation to publication, ensuring all videos are accurate and delivered on deadline
- Mentor Assistant Editors and contractors to help them develop their knowledge and skills
- Edit videos to entertain, surprise, educate, and inform viewers
- Conceive, develop, and pitch original video content on a regular basis
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in photojournalism, broadcasting, filmmaking or other disciplines that emphasize visual storytelling and multimedia editing
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience as a video editor at an agency, news website or non-for-profit
- A portfolio that demonstrates a wide variety of engaging video story telling techniques
- Extensive experience producing video for social media platforms
- Proven track record of working cross departmentally throughout a complex organization
- Expert in Adobe Premier, After Effects, Photoshop and other Creative Cloud Products
- Experience with animation/motion graphics essential
- Experience shooting DSLR or Cinema cameras a plus
- Firm understanding of typography, branding, layout and design as it pertains to video
- Understand and use social media platforms and tools including, but not limited to Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to iCIMS Customer Care at 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required