PART-TIME JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach Department
Application Deadline: March 23, 2018
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking highly-qualified candidates for the position of Associate in the Chicago office to provide administrative assistance to the Chicago Development Team. The Chicago Development Team serves as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities. This position is part-time at 24 hours per week (60% schedule). The schedule for the position is four weekdays per week from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Availability to work occasional night events is required. The Associate reports to the Development Officer based in Chicago. The anticipated start date is April 2018.
1. Provide administrative support including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at
meetings, responding to inquiries, recording and processing divisional finances, and making
2. Assist in the follow-up and administrative support of major organizational fundraising,
cultivation, and outreach events, including, but not limited to, the Chicago Annual Dinner and
Chicago Film Series;
3. Organize logistical aspects of events by maintaining key spreadsheets, documenting gifts
received, preparing solicitation and acknowledgement materials, arranging and shipping
event materials, collating follow-up fundraising reports, etc.;
4. Maintain the Raiser’s Edge database by updating donor and financial information and
overseeing data entry for special events and cultivation initiatives;
5. Assist with prospect and donor relationship management by conducting research on
individual and foundation prospects using various online tools to prepare donor solicitation
strategies, maintaining extensive files, contact lists and databases, scheduling and preparing
briefs and materials for meetings, and drafting donor communications;
6. Provide general administrative and operational support to the Chicago office, including
providing orientations, answering phones, processing mailings and expenses, maintaining
accurate files, responding to requests for information, liaising with vendors related to the
operational functioning of the office, monitoring office administration budget, ordering
supplies, and handling office maintenance and facilities issues;
7. Assist with the development of content for newsletters, social media, mailings, programs, and
8. Assist with the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of interns; and
9. Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in social science or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
3. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences,
including donors are required.
4. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
5. Self-motivation and ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, work
independently and work well in a fast-paced environment with a small team are required.
6. Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online
research are required.
7. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
8. Strong proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications, especially Excel,
is required; experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases is highly desirable.
9. Experience and interest in non-profit development, philanthropy and/or event planning are
required; strong interest in human rights is desirable.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum
of two years from start date.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring
practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known
for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile
advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of
influential governments and international institutions
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $27,090, which has been prorated for a 60% schedule.
Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision,
disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twelve (12) days of vacation
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by 11:59 PM ET on March 23, 2018 by visiting our online
job portal at https://careers.hrw.org/opportunities/show/?jobid=1594. Please do not call or email. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be
accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.