455 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks an aggressive, detail-oriented research director to manage CREW’s research department. As a leading nonpartisan nonprofit government watchdog, CREW is dedicated to rooting out government corruption and fighting the influence of money in politics through legal action, strategic communications, in-depth research and policy advocacy. From tracking the conflicts of interest of Congress and the Executive Branch to combing through campaign finance reports to identify legal and ethical violations, CREW’s research team is busier than ever in the current ethics crisis facing our democracy. The ideal candidate will be able to make an immediate impact fighting for an ethical, accountable government.
- Research/Investigation: The research director supervises a team of researchers who exhaustively research and investigate government corruption, including reviewing and analyzing government documents, news reports, databases, public information, and other resources and extracting all relevant information. The research director works with researchers to generate project ideas and investigative report proposals. The research director also works with CREW’s Chief Investigator to develop special projects.
- Editing: The research director works with researchers to synthesize information into accurate, concise written reports, and create databases and other online resources for use by the public and news media. With oversight from the research director, researchers draft blog posts and reports for distribution. Everything produced by CREW is vigorously fact-checked by CREW’s research team and the research director is responsible for managing the fact-check process.
- Monitoring: The research department is the eyes and ears of CREW, and the research director is in charge of implementing systems for monitoring the news as it develops. The research team also collects news clips to distribute internally
- Interdepartmental Communication: The research director is the lead interface between the research team and other departments at CREW. Researchers work closely with CREW’s legal, policy, and communications teams to advance the mission of the organization, from drafting FOIA requests to tracking down information for journalists.
A great candidate has:
- A minimum of 5 years research experience required
- Management and editorial experience
- Outstanding interpersonal, research, and analytical skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational abilities
- Excellent writing, editing, and fact-checking skill
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Must work well under pressure, adapt to changing situations, and prioritize numerous projects and tasks
- Must be a self-starter who can recognize emerging trends and generate creative content ideas
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place your name and “Research Director Application” in the subject line. No phone calls please. We can respond only to candidates whom we are contacting for an interview. CREW is an Equal Opportunity Employer.