Job Overview / Summary:
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC is at work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities. The IRC’s US Programs department has 950 staff and 5,000 volunteers. Together we serve more than 35,000 refugees, immigrants and other low income communities through a diverse portfolio of programs aimed at five core outcomes: Health, Safety, Economic Well-being, Education and Power.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to live your humanitarian values through your work. You will do well at IRC if you thrive when working with passionate, highly-committed colleagues who are dedicated to building communities that welcome and support people seeking refuge and the opportunity for a new life.
- Direct collaborative identification and development of annual and multi-year human capacity strategies such as workforce and leadership planning, performance management, employee relations, staff development, and organization design, ensuring the right talent at the right time and place. Identify and facilitate development of standards, tools, and resources.
- Lead large-scale organizational change efforts including alignment to business plans, assessment, structural design, role identification, implementation and change management.
- Drive and deliver strategic and operational solutions to client groups’ challenges and opportunities, including organizational design and change management.
- Evaluate and facilitate HR functional capacity and service delivery. Build knowledge, expertise, and capacity using internal and external resources. Ensure effective HR service systems and delivery at multiple levels as confirmed by key partners. Measure and evaluate.
- Direct development and delivery of training and other capacity building efforts. Identify and access internal and external resources to provide timely and effective technical assistance.
- Serve as a strategic partner providing individual HR support and advice to USP Leadership and USP HQ staff.
- Ensure economy and efficiency of work processes, and contain institutional risk. As needed, serve as primary liaison for all HR matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned and contribute to the success of the HR department and function at IRC.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Chief Human Resources Officer
Position directly supervises: 2 Regional HR Partners and 1 Senior HR Associate
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Position requires close collaboration with a variety of colleagues, including but not limited to: global HR specialists, Finance, Legal, Ethics & Compliance Unit, USP Field offices, and USP HQ staff.
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience, minimum 8-10 years of progressive HR professional experience with at least 5 years as a regional manager or director or equivalent
- Experience supporting employee groups of 500+ employees in multiple locations
- Success in supporting key senior management and building rapport across all levels in the organization.
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, and training & development
- Strong collaborator with effective interpersonal and analytical skills who is able to work seamlessly across cultures and organizational units required
- Ability to work, manage, and meet competing deadlines in a dynamic, high volume environment and on deadline; aptitude for problem solving and decision-making needed
- Superb written and verbal communication skills required
- Capable of managing conflict and conflicting views
- Solid knowledge of HR process, policy, practice and systems is required
- SPHR, GPHR, CIPD or other HR professional certification welcomed
Minimum Education Required